Gibson Brands Forums

Tone Help

First day on this forum thanks for having me! Not exactly sure where I should post this but I want some advice ASAP so here I go haha. So I have some pretty good equipment and I want some good advice on the versatility I can manage with my guitar equipment. I have a Marshall JCM 800 (2204) 50W with 2x12 speakers. I have a Gibson Sg Standard (2011). I also have a BOSS SD-1 pedal, the yellow one. I can already get a good classic rock sound which is awesome. Im just wondering what else is possible for me? I try to get a good solo lead tone but the notes comes out as too "pingy" if that makes sense? Any advice or information is greatly appreciated! Thanks rockstars!!

Chapman gets a solid tone out of the SG Standard here and I know alot of it is in his awesome playing technique but I should be able to come close to this tone with what I have right?

Please help a brother out! Thanks!

Hello and welcome.

How about a lesson from a master :) Woman tone (2:00 mins in)

And from me.. Well you have a really nice amp there (id love an 800)... If I were you id not be using a distortion pedal at all and just use the built in gain... And the best advice for that is that to really get the classic rock sound its all about volume (and small amounts of gain) where you get the natural break up of the sound.. That really is the best you can get but obviously you need a space to play that loud...

Also probably if you don't get much response on this section the best place to ask is in the Gibson Lounge but you need 15 (or it could be 10) posts first before you can post in there. (or as its about an SG specifically then the SG section)

Indeed the search for tone is one of the things most guitarists seem to be obsessed with.. Getting that sound that's in your head out into the real world.. And I think its also true that most of the tone actually comes from the guitarists fingers... But its all part of the fun though of discovering who you are and what your sound is.. BUT as I have seen on here, that also changes with age and experience... So really its all neither here nor there anyway ;)

Well good luck, hope my ramblings helped a bit [thumbup]

Hello and welcome.

How about a lesson from a master :) Woman tone (2:00 mins in)

And from me.. Well you have a really nice amp there (id love an 800)... If I were you id not be using a distortion pedal at all and just use the built in gain... And the best advice for that is that to really get the classic rock sound its all about volume (and small amounts of gain) where you get the natural break up of the sound.. That really is the best you can get but obviously you need a space to play that loud...

Also probably if you don't get much response on this section the best place to ask is in the Gibson Lounge but you need 15 (or it could be 10) posts first before you can post in there. (or as its about an SG specifically then the SG section)

Indeed the search for tone is one of the things most guitarists seem to be obsessed with.. Getting that sound that's in your head out into the real world.. And I think its also true that most of the tone actually comes from the guitarists fingers... But its all part of the fun though of discovering who you are and what your sound is.. BUT as I have seen on here, that also changes with age and experience... So really its all neither here nor there anyway ;)

Well good luck, hope my ramblings helped a bit [thumbup]

Thanks! I also posted this in the SG section and took your advice. As far as a gain knob the jcm 800 model 2204 doesn't have one. So I am not exactly sure what you meant by that. That's ultimately what the pedal is for correct?

Thanks! I also posted this in the SG section and took your advice. As far as a gain knob the jcm 800 model 2204 doesn't have one. So I am not exactly sure what you meant by that. That's ultimately what the pedal is for correct?

I think on the JCM 800 its pre-amp (instead of a gain knob).. So lots of master and like quarter pre-amp or something...

Im not actually that familiar with the workings of a tube amp myself (I know way more about guitar workings :))... but there are many people that are..

Also a lot of amps have two channels one for clean and one for overdrive, and you get a footswitch to switch between them... (not the 800)

I only recently got the Marshall Slash SL5 which is my first tube amp and it has two channels and built in reverb (both which are switchable with a footswitch that comes with it)

So maybe a good idea is to have a look on youtube and see if you can find some people showing how to get good sounds from your amp and what all the knobs do etc.. Don't be afraid to play around with all the knobs and see what they all do.. You will hear it for yourself :)

• 1 year later...

First day on this forum thanks for having me! Not exactly sure where I should post this but I want some advice ASAP so here I go haha. So I have some pretty good equipment and I want some good advice on the versatility I can manage with my guitar equipment. I have a Marshall JCM 800 (2204) 50W with 2x12 speakers. I have a Gibson Sg Standard (2011). I also have a BOSS SD-1 pedal, the yellow one. I can already get a good classic rock sound which is awesome. Im just wondering what else is possible for me? I try to get a good solo lead tone but the notes comes out as too "pingy" if that makes sense? Any advice or information is greatly appreciated! Thanks rockstars!!

Chapman gets a solid tone out of the SG Standard here and I know alot of it is in his awesome playing technique but I should be able to come close to this tone with what I have right?

So in my Marshall experience, they've been tinny. I used to use a Mesa boogie V-Twin pedal in the effects loop or in front of the amp and kept it static. I never stepped on it, I just dialed in a good tone on the dirty channel of the pedal and use any other pedals or just crank it raw. But if the tone sounds tinny, I will keep the highs around 6 as well as the mids and put bass up around 8 and a half. But if you can use a pedal to color it, even better.

Tone is an ongoing journey in music....and an individual quest....[thumbup]

Many players create their own 'pedal board' of effects, drawing on favourite artists' rigs and web discussions....[thumbup]

There are many guitarists who have 'moved the posts' regarding tone and done something original....

So maybe do some YouTube research and learn 'how it is done' by the likes of...

Eric Clapton

Jimi Hendrix

BB KIng

John Scofield

John McLaughlin

Joe Satriani

Hank Marvin

Jimmy Page

Enjoy the chase...!!

A lot of tone is in the fingers...!!

V

:-({|=

• 6 months later...

i was so fortunate to have known what tone i wanted before i started looking for what it takes to get my tone, so i saved so much time and effort by getting my marshall jcm2000 401 and an ocd pedal, which was suggested to me here as well as other friends, the (Boss dd3/dd7) digital delay, with that, it makes me feel so much like im having great sex, at my age its hard to tell the difference anymore as good as a tone these three things give me only with my gibsons, others absolutely cannot do it for me, but that is what i like...you... would definitely agree i can tell... you seem agreeable...lol by the way an SG maybe my next choice to put into it. good hunting

Archived