Gibson Brands Forums

sympathetic string vibration when playing chords

doublescale1

This is a little issue on my 2015 SG Special that I have come across. II have noticed in the last couple of weeks that when I play a chord up the neck that does not involve the low E string, it vibrates enough to make a dissonant E note heard if E is not part of the chord being played. Well, you'll hear that E string vibrating whether or not it's has a voice in the chord, so it could blend into the chord or sound like the clam that it is if not. It very much reacts like a sympathetic vibration to what is being played elsewhere on the neck. Has anyone else noticed this? Could this be because of the brass zero fret? I'm finding that I have to use a finger or my thumb to mute that string. I have never noticed this happening on any other guitar that I have. Thoughts?

You should always mute strings that you don't want to ring. It isn't a QC issue, nothing like that, not the nut or anything. It's a player thing.

rct

You may have developed a bad habit, maybe in part to the slightly wider neck on the '15 Special. On thinner necks its a little easier to naturaly mute unplayed strings. I have the '15 Special and I like the extra room the wider neck gives my big hands, but I can see what is happening to you. IMO, all you need is just a little adjustment to correct the issue. I started chocking some of the strings that should ring out on slimmer necks like on my Telecaster. Look at it as a chance to improve your technique. P.S. I love both guitars and I'm still working hard on my technique!

Your right about the technique thing - I have been paying a lot more attention when I play that guitar - my CS336 has a 60's neck and I've been playing that as my go-to for about three years now - the neck on the SG is wider, and that is going to be something that I really need to work at in controlling the un-played strings. Since I noticed the issue, it's already gotten easier to to control, with just a few lapses in attention to unplayed strings. Correcting bad habits is never a bad thing... thanks for all the input, it very much confirmed what I was getting to understand on my own. This is my first SG and the 336 is having to fight for attention these days.

Archived