Gibson Guitar Board: Next generation to supersede CMP 800 - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Next generation to supersede CMP 800 Adding a CPU and linux to the CMP 800

Poll: Should DJ decks have CPU and run linux? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Should DJ decks have CPU and run linux?

1. DJ decks should contain a CPU and run linux (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. DJ decks should contain a CPU but need to be hacked to run linux (0 votes [0.00%])

3. DJ decks should not contain a CPU (linux?) because it is too expensive (0 votes [0.00%])

4. DJ decks should not contain a CPU (linux?) because it is illogical (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Cool but unnecessary (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Would make an interesting hack (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Desired feature for future devices (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Un-desired feature for future devices (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   nexius 

• Group: Members

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:35 PM

I own two CMP 800's. I love the things, I can't get over the functionality crammed into such a device, but, I do have a great recommendation for an upgrade.

Using the design mastery the CMP 800 already possesses, adding a low speed RISC CPU (ARM or MIPS) and using some inhouse operating system or maybe a stripped version of linux, you could make these babies a dream for hardware versatility. I really think a cpu and linux should be added to the CMP series of players. Think of all the possibilities! The same controller could be programmed with any list of effects. Could remove the need for middleware computers if the system is robust enough!

I can think of a few more upgrades to the units that would make them even more top choice: Integrated memory or SD card slot tucked away neatly, ability to read DVD (blueray?), support for different filesystems than fat32, improve the BPM tracking (some songs do not register bpm even though they are easily tapped in), support to crosslink-usb and use over midi with PC, some kind of graphical display of music playing (involves a screen upgrade, could be touch), multicolor led platter illumination, ability to access cd drive and flashdrive while plugged in over usb to a computer, ability to read from usb HDD (only flashdrives work), mappable from pc as usb soundcard, pitch control (changing tempo currently changes pitch, with only a keylock option), playlist support, midi-mapping with audio channel playthrough (useful for non-digital mixers)

Suggest any improvements to the design or features of the CMP 800?
What are people's opinions on DJ controllers that have a CPU and run linux (or could be hacked to run linux)
If there was a project to create an open source DJ media player would anybody support it? (like aurora mixer and QuNeo)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users