Gibson Brands Forums

I got to play the real Goldie

bluesky636

Just got back from TDY in Monterey, CA. During my limited free time (a short day was 12 hours), I made it over to Rumble Seat Music in Carmel-By-The-Sea. I saw a Gibson "Goldie" on display on the wall and asked if it was the Custom Shop version. I was told no, it was the real one. I asked if I could hold it, and was told "Sure, why don't you plug her in and play her?" I almost fainted. Anyway, they plugged me into the bright side of a vintage Blackface Bassman and let me have at it. I'm a lousy player and I was scared to death I would drop her, but I managed to crank out a few lead lines that didn't sound half bad. My hands were shaking when I finally handed her back over. It was truly an uplifting experience. My thanks go out to the guys at Rumble Seat.

Note that the guitar was not for sale. It was on loan by the owner for display purposes only.

17097184688_8e2beba1f2_b.jpg

a very good friend and ex-band mate has a 59 les paul gold top..

The problem? his is a train wreck. he's beat the snot out of it, busted the headstock and the repair, while structurally sound, is a disaster cosmetically. the guy should have NEVER taken owner ship of it.. he's a great guy and a very dear friend, but when it comes to gear, don't let him touch anything you want to keep..

Amazing [thumbup]

Not that many people have played a real one (I haven't), let alone Goldie herself.. For a Gibson player its like holding and drinking from the holy grail.... very cool :)

Just got back from TDY in Monterey, CA. During my limited free time (a short day was 12 hours), I made it over to Rumble Seat Music in Carmel-By-The-Sea. I saw a Gibson "Goldie" on display on the wall and asked if it was the Custom Shop version. I was told no, it was the real one. I asked if I could hold it, and was told "Sure, why don't you plug her in and play her?" I almost fainted. Anyway, they plugged me into the bright side of a vintage Blackface Bassman and let me have at it. I'm a lousy player and I was scared to death I would drop her, but I managed to crank out a few lead lines that didn't sound half bad. My hands were shaking when I finally handed her back over. It was truly an uplifting experience. My thanks go out to the guys at Rumble Seat.

Note that the guitar was not for sale. It was on loan by the owner for display purposes only.

17097184688_8e2beba1f2_b.jpg

VERY COOL!!!! Thanks for sharing this with us.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't get it. Don't get me wrong I ABSOLUTELY BELIEVE YOUR STORY. And it must have been a wonderful and fun experience for you.

But why does the guy who owns that guitar take it into a shop and tell them to just hang it on the wall and go ahead and let anyone who wants to hammer away on it???

I suppose it's better than locking it away somewhere, or keeping in a glass case, but it just doesn't make sense?

Archived