Gibson Brands Forums

New Pedal Day

Stu-bud

Just received my new Snouse BlackBox, a clone of the Marshall BluesBreaker Mk1 JTM 45 pedal. Got to say this is a very cool pedal. Very nice, warm, light breakup. I was using my ES 335 and Victoria 518 champ and Marshall 2061X amps.

BlackBox_zps4bawxpto.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So now that you've had the pedal for awhile - what is your take on it? Are you happy with it? Give us the lowdown! :)

Well, I didn't have a comparable type pedal to compare it with, so I bought a Marshall Bluesbreaker early issue pedal, real nice condition. It arrived yesterday.

If the premise is that the pedal is supposed to be transparent, not change the tone, just emulate a tube amp beginning to break up, then I have to say the Snouse is 100% on target and the Marshall fails. The Marshall colors the tone significantly. The bass drops out, and mids increase. It's a bit tinny of a sound, at least compared to the Snouse. With the Snouse the bass does not drop at all, and the treble may a little, depending on how far you turn up the tone knob, but not much.

If the Bluesbreaker is meant to emulate an actual Marshall Bluesbreaker amp, then maybe it does the job, but I wouldn't know.

So there is my .02c worth. Stu.

Archived