Gibson Brands Forums

Best Straps to Buy

carranoj25

Bought a new (used) SG. Hoping you guys could help me find a good quality Strap to go along with it. Don't know much about straps. Want it to look badass in case I ever get a band going. Any recommendations please & thanks!

Souldier guitar straps, have a million to choose from. Handmade in Chicago , plane jane leather straps to really pimped out retro ones, and all in between,. Google them. I couldnt be more pleased with the ones I own.

... Love the one knob on that black/grey LP

Thanks.

It's not a Les Paul, it's an L6S in silverburst finish.

The chickenhead knob is not original. From factory it had a black one. The cream sounds better. ;)

Cheers... Bence

I only bought one Gibson strap, the Austin, and it is amazing.

I have the nylon and leather offerings but they all remind me of fatigue and soreness. One look at the Austin and I think 'comfort'. Some 4" straps cut into the neckline too, my headaches literally stem from soreness of neck.

I'm looking into their other styles now, something in black, because of the comforting shoulder pad. I can't speak highly enough of them, I wish some of the other strap builders would incorporate these shoulder pads into their designs.

Their rounded edges are not able to cut into your shoulders, and you end up with a mere 2" of contact, so you don't necessarily burn up wearing them either. They are soft leather too, so bare skin has no issue with any stitching.

Ideally we would be able to design our own favorite straps with pads that buckle onto our straps, a standard size belt that can also be customized, and end up with colorations and designs that represent our own tastes. I think Gibson has successfully created truly remarkable straps, but an avenue to customize them, have superior shoulder pads, neat looking belt style bucklings, and accessories... would be ideal.

I have three Levys straps I purchased in 1997 and 1998. They get used a lot- gigging and playing at home, rehearsing etc. All three are made in the U.S. and for my dollar, Levys are hard to beat. Wide variety and prices. Good, multi stitching. Mine do not "adjust" quickly, but they have a good range of adjustment.

Have not checked them out lately- no reason for me to do so. Other than some discoloring on the two tan/brown offerings, which makes them look cool IMO, they are as robust today as the day I got them.

When the Levy breaks, momma you gotta move...(no worries, they won't break). (Am I really writing this...Monday...?)

Brian

Hello!

Congratulations!

I use these straps: http://bayus.eu/home/

Beautiful, quality work. Moderately priced in it's own class.

de3v.jpg

With my guitars:

HPIM5536_zpssdjcpmz4.jpg

Cheers... Bence

Looks like a REALLY nice strap! The Levys I use are very close construction wise. I like the grain on that strap too, Bence!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Gibson straps , the wife accuses me of being BRAND centric..Guess I am....The Montana and the other Gibby nomenclature escapes my recall at the moment .Quite satisfied with them.

X

• 2 weeks later...

If you're interested in high end custom quality leather straps that the builder will size to you and create color schemes that match your axe and you're willing to spend some bucks but not totally break the bank, (I've run into leather strap makers wanting $500 to $800 dollars for their wares), go to Etsy and check out Ethos CustomBrands. They make more than straps but just select guitar straps from their menu and check out some very nice product. I own about 30 straps and normally stay in the $30 to $60 dollar range, but, for my high dollar axes I'm willing to push the limit. Prices range from $99 to close to $400. I own two. One was purchased to match / compliment a Melancon Custom T, (natural burl maple on mahogany), and the other was for my Gibson Custom Shop CS-336. I wanted them to match the colors in the sunburst finish of the CS-336 and they scored beautifully.

I have 7 of the Ernie Ball Leather ones.......love them.

I plan on getting a custom one from Longhorn Leathers (they are on facebook). He makes straps for Lita Ford, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Gary Clark, etc........beautiful stuff

NHTom

Some straps are going for crazy money.

I made my first strap out of some army surplus webbing. I had the pin holes stitched by a shoe repairer I knew. I gave it to a bassist who took a fancy to it. He was still using it 6 years ago & maybe still is. That's some 40 years of use.

I just adjusted one of my Levy's yesterday- I gave incorrect info- my Levy's are made in Canada.

Seems like they have a whole new "line" of straps out there! Who'd a thunk there'd be such a market for straps?

Brian

I just adjusted one of my Levy's yesterday- I gave incorrect info- my Levy's are made in Canada.

Seems like they have a whole new "line" of straps out there! Who'd a thunk there'd be such a market for straps?

Brian

If we quit standing up, they could sell us a cool bunch of pretty stools instead.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm up to 8 of these Ernie Ball Leather straps..........really love them.

101_0315_zps46570127.jpg

Also, if you are looking to spend a few bucks for something custom, check out Longhorn Leathers.......He makes straps for Lita Ford, Fabulous T Birds, Gary Clarke, etc........nice stuff

NHTom

I forgot to mention that "The Leather Head" in Louisville KY makes some of the nicest straps I've ever seen..

He makes each one custom one at a time exactly to your specs & has a patent on the way his is shaped that keeps the weight off your collar bone

NHtom I didn't know ernie Ball made straps like those!! SWEET!!

I treated myself recently to a Levys brown leather suede strap for my SG.This has got to be the most comfortable strap I've ever used. The strap is 2.5 inches wide, so no cutting into my shoulder, also being suede, it has a better grip of my SG, doesn't shift (neck diving). Smells lovely too. [thumbup]

kind regards, Emma :)

• 1 month later...

Archived