Gibson Brands Forums

LP Professional - NGD

Hege

Pawn shop listed this guitar on Craigs List.

Instant GAS, managed two weeks and then went and picked her up.

She is HEAVY and Filthy. A cleanup has begun.

http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/pmcrush/library/LP%20Pro%201969

Capital "A"mazing tones. I totally get Les Paul, and his tone search now.

Not too old to be amazed.... me.

Can't quite nail the date though. Serno looks like 1969, Made in USA Stamp says at least 1970, Pots are 1970, and a volute at the headstock.

Norlin? Not?

Any ideas from the group?

Thanks for looking!

'Hege

The logo embossed pickups would date it no earlier than late-70. With '70 dated pots (what week?), it looks to be from late-70 to early/mid '71.

Pots are CTS 39th and 40th week of 1970, so no earlier than that for sure.

Input is 1/4, but no internal x-former. (Done later by PO maybe) I'll make my own patch.

I suppose the date of the wood could be different from the assembly date. There appears to be some confusion about serial numbers around this time (of course)

I wonder if there is a "Norlin" factor, most comments are about Norlin weight, and this beauty is 12+some lbs.

There is not a great amount of info out there, I am still trying to come to terms with how many "Professionals" were made. I see a few different numbers out there.

Thanks for your input.

Nice find! It looks to me that everything on your guitar is original with the exception of the tuners. It should have Schaller tuners with a "G" on the oil cap I believe. It looks like the replacements fit with no altering on the headstock, but the photo is fuzzy. My shipping total book show a total of 901 guitars shipped from 1969 to 1973. (None were shipped in 1972 & only 2 were shipped in 1973). Here is a photo of my LP Personal & Professional. We have a pretty extensive thread going on low impedance guitars, "The Low Impedance Club", just a few below this thread. I'm sure Dave & Bence will chime in with info.

DSC08186_zpsc3210a63.jpg

Also, here is a shot of the original chord Gibson supplied with these guitars & a modern replacement by Shure.

DSC08224_zps163d3f27.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shure-A95U-XLR-Male-Lo-Z-to-1-4-Female-Hi-Z-Line-Matching-Transformer-NEW-/391011209653?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b0a1591b5

I don't think that the Professional ever had an internal T/F.

The T/F lead was always used with this one and I would advise sticking with that if you want the original CLEAN sound with no losses. T/F as close to the Amp as possible.

The Mode Switch Tip has been changed to the F variant. The correct tips might be hard to find.

Unsure about the tuners - I have seen lots of different tuners on these.

DG

Nice find! It looks to me that everything on your guitar is original with the exception of the tuners. It should have Schaller tuners with a "G" on the oil cap I believe. It looks like the replacements fit with no altering on the headstock, but the photo is fuzzy. My shipping total book show a total of 901 guitars shipped from 1969 to 1973. (None were shipped in 1972 & only 2 were shipped in 1973). Here is a photo of my LP Personal & Professional. We have a pretty extensive thread going on low impedance guitars, "The Low Impedance Club", just a few below this thread. I'm sure Dave & Bence will chime in with info.

Thank you for that info, and I appreciate the pics too. Those are beautiful instruments, and of course the shot of the impedance adapter is gold to a newb like me.

I would like to preserve this instrument as it is, most especially the TONES. The tuners may have been changed but they are vintage too, in that they are about 4:1 ratio Not really but seems that way compared to modern tuners-lol.

I will certainly join in the thread, I have a few questions for sure.

Hello!

Also, You'll have to bridge pins 1 and 3 either at the XLR end of the cable, or make some modifications inside the transformer to accomondate it to 50 Ohms range of the pickups.

See user's guide at the provided link.

Cheers... Bence

P.S.: Sorry! Dave already said this: "You will need a standard unbalance 1/4 inch to XLR lead to go with it."

Hello!

Also, You'll have to bridge pins 1 and 3 either at the XLR end of the cable, or make some modifications inside the transformer to accomondate it to 50 Ohms range of the pickups.

See user's guide at the provided link.

Cheers... Bence

P.S.: Sorry! Dave already said this: "You will need a standard unbalance 1/4 inch to XLR lead to go with it."

Got it Gentlemen. Shure device will be here in the next two days, then it' soldering iron time. Will post results of course.

Archived