Gibson Brands Forums

New Member - First Epi Electric

Steve112

Hi all. Been playing since 1959, main guitars have been Gibsons and Fenders. Gibby ES335, ES330, SG Special. Fender USA Strat, Tele, Mustang, MIM Strat, Am. Std. Strat. Haven't had a humbucker equipped guitar for 40+ years. Finally decided I've been wanting a smaller archtop, specifically a 339. I'm on a pension now so a $3,000.00 Gibson version is out of the question. I know that Epiphone has been raising their QC on their new instruments and thought that I'd take a chance on the ES339 Pro in Vintage Sunburst.

I've had my Epi ES339 Pro for a couple of weeks now and after the tech at L&M did a fret level, nut file, machine head tightening, the guitar plays very nicely and holds intonation and tuning well. I thought originally that I'd have to change the pups but no, they sound just fine. Height adjustment is the key here, dropped them a tiny bit and they cleared up well. The action is as good as any pro level guitar that I've played over the years, a VERY pleasant surprise. The 10s are the perfect gauge string for this guitar, very smooth anywhere on the fretboard. I'd put this neck up against any of the Fenders and Gibbys without hesitation, otherwise I wouldn't keep the guitar. Having played many top notch American guitars, my expectations are fairly high when it comes to playability, fit & finish, tone and stability. I really am very happy with this 339, it's a good guitar that I'll gig with no hesitation.post-71738-066567700 1431058634_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum Steve. [thumbup]

Yep, many folks are finding out for the first time that an Epiphone is not such a bad guitar. And like you, many can not afford a Gibby. And if that's the case, then an Epi is the next best thing for sure!

Stick around, there are some pretty cool folks around these parts.

Present company excluded. :blink:

Welcome to the forum Steve. [thumbup]

Yep, many folks are finding out for the first time that an Epiphone is not such a bad guitar. And like you, many can not afford a Gibby. And if that's the case, then an Epi is the next best thing for sure!

Stick around, there are some pretty cool folks around these parts.

Present company excluded. :blink:

Thank you for the welcome, brad1. [thumbup] I've been lurking for a while

and I've seen that there are lots of good folks here with lots of knowledge

about Epiphone guitars and gear in general. Glad to be a member here!

The action is as good as any pro level guitar that I've played over the years, a VERY pleasant surprise.

Good to hear it. I don't have the background for the higher-priced comparisons, but I've got the Epiphones, and I really like 'em. Welcome to the board!

Hey Steve

Welcome to the forum.

The build Q of the Epi's have certainly improved in the last few years. really hard to pass on them based on the cost and the constancy we're seeing lately.

I'm with you Steve when it comes to having had many of the best, Epiphone HAS come up so much. I bought a Genesis recently. The Probucker 2 and 3 pups sound good. Between string changes (once per week), I polish frets and oil fretboard lightly. I HATE a dry rosewood fingerboard. About pup raising and lowering: this is the best sound adjustment that you will find on an electric. I recommend trying "Novus" brand #1 for polishing guitar finishes. It's a miracle. My "open box" Epi Genesis was covered with belt buckle rash and lots of rashes every. I used Novus grit #3 to rub out the deeper rashes. Then follow with Novus #2 subtle compound to semi+ fine polish out any remaining visible stuff. Then always finish up with Novus #1 liquid polish. It works like liquid plastic. Novus is availabe @ Amazon .com.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Steve! Those a very popular guitar and follows the Gibson quite well I understand. Like you said, these Epiphones are darn fine instruments. Good to have you. I am back after a year or so, so it is as though I am new too! That puts you ahead of me. [flapper]

Congrats Steve! Those a very popular guitar and follows the Gibson quite well I understand. Like you said, these Epiphones are darn fine instruments. Good to have you. I am back after a year or so, so it is as though I am new too! That puts you ahead of me. [flapper]

Well thank you Dan, I've got two gigs on the 339 now and it has stood the test very nicely.

Very stable on all counts (tuning, intonation, fretting on the whole fb). Got great compliments on the vintage tone this Epi produces. It even looks good on-stage.

In short, a very good guitar at a great price. [biggrin]......

Back at ya [flapper]

Well thank you Dan, I've got two gigs on the 339 now and it has stood the test very nicely.

Very stable on all counts (tuning, intonation, fretting on the whole fb). Got great compliments on the vintage tone this Epi produces. It even looks good on-stage.

In short, a very good guitar at a great price. [biggrin]......

Back at ya [flapper]

Hello Steve, I'm a newbie here too, I think it's a great forum.

I bought a 339 Pro a couple of years ago and took it straight from the shop to use in rehearsal with no real problems. I've had a fret level and polish since and it's one of the 2 guitars I take out to gigs (the other is a MIM Strat). I'm really impressed with Epiphone instruments, such good value for money. I got a '56 Goldtop Reissue from a friend of mine, and only last week bought a new 335 Pro which is of equal, or even better quality to the others. So I am with you and all the others in an endorsement of Epi guitars.

Have fun.

Archived