Gibson Brands Forums

Andertons Gibson Memphis Review

IanHenry

Rob has been doing better and better, despite what that videos comment section reads. He has been developing his blues playing more so than Lee, and has the subtle snaps and vocal bends. At 19 minutes I can sit and listen. Also he milks the 2015 335 burstbuckers pretty well.

I guess I should mention Alvin Lee, he did pretty well over here and earned my respect as a semi-hollow player, Alvin somehow escaped their list of notables.

I believe those 63's have MHS pickups. And they are gorgeous to listen to. Both of those are incredible. I would really love to walk into Andertons and spend the day with assorted 335s. They have an impressive inventory.

Tuning a guitar has sometimes been a challenge for them, and their blues playing lacks authenticity, but they make up for this with their sense of humor. "That's in America", Lee's gestures were amusing.

Memphis finally has its own comment section, better late than never.

• 4 weeks later...

I played a bunch of guitars in Andertons last month when I got my 339.

I also picked up a Line 6 Pod there after Xmas.

I think the shop's popularity is entirely down to these videos they make. I like watching them as much as anyone else. However, the staff at Andertons are not particularly good. They are polite and friendly, but that's about it. When I pointed out that one Gibson had far to much neck relief (and it was a massive convex bow!) he just shrugged and asked if I wanted something else. That £1,500 guitar will NOT SELL in that condition.

The staff at many other shops are more switched on (informed, attentive and responsive). for example...

20 minutes away down the Hogs Back is 'Guitar Village' in Farnham. They have many more hollowbody guitars (including a fabulous wall of Gibson archtops) and the staff are fantastic. They investigate issues like that and get their tech staff involved if needed.

But Lee & Rob are fun to watch. Rob Chapman in particular is a fine player. He also happens to be a very nice guy. Lee may be also for all I know. I've just seen more of Rob.

Archived