Gibson Brands Forums

Strange Problem with Low E

Okay. I’m perplexed.

My 2008 SG is not behaving. I’ve had it setup (action and intonation) But the low E will not tune. If I strum it and the A fretted the E sounds like it is going in and out of phase. Or another way to describe the sound is like if I were to gently press the low E string past the nut on the head stock. I’ve taken it to two different Luthiers and neither can find anything wrong with it. It isn’t hardly noticeable on a clean channel. But add a little gain and you can hear it. I usually play through an amp simulator into earphones. It’s noticeable there.

The last guy that looked at it didn’t see any issues. The action was good and it was in tune. The nut was fine. The guy that worked on it before the last guy lowered the stop bar really low. I’m going to raise it back up so the strings aren’t hitting on the back of the bridge. Would that be the issue possibly? The pickups are in the proper positions.

Anyone else had experience like this before?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I’m perplexed.

My 2008 SG is not behaving. I’ve had it setup (action and intonation) But the low E will not tune. If I strum it and the A fretted the E sounds like it is going in and out of phase. Or another way to describe the sound is like if I were to gently press the low E string past the nut on the head stock. I’ve taken it to two different Luthiers and neither can find anything wrong with it. It isn’t hardly noticeable on a clean channel. But add a little gain and you can hear it. I usually play through an amp simulator into earphones. It’s noticeable there.

The last guy that looked at it didn’t see any issues. The action was good and it was in tune. The nut was fine. The guy that worked on it before the last guy lowered the stop bar really low. I’m going to raise it back up so the strings aren’t hitting on the back of the bridge. Would that be the issue possibly? The pickups are in the proper positions.

Anyone else had experience like this before?

Good move on raising tail piece.....the string should not rub bridge ....

Sounds to me like the notes are oscillating like any notes not in perfect unison will...it's just more noticeable with the fat strings.

Or are you saying it does it when the string is played alone?

I'm not sure what "If I strum it and the A fretted the E sounds like..." means.

Archived