Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 05 Lucille

burchster

I picked up an Epi Lucille a while back while it's a pretty good guitar, I also picked up Eric Dahl's book about Kings guitars and finding and returning King's current #1 Lucille and I got GAS for the real thing. We'll I found one for a good price and snagged it. It's in good shape and appears to have been a wall hanger with some minor finish damage and a nasty cigarette smell. She's all cleaned up now and I love it! This is my first Gibson ES guitar.

20150507_140003.jpg

Good choice!

Could you post your impressions of the differences between the Epiphone and Gibson Lucilles? I've owned 3 Gibson Lucilles but have never played an Epiphone.

The Epi Lucille is a good guitar all around. I have it set up with flat wounds and the gibby set up with round. Pickup finish and build wise Gibson is far superior. The Epiphone pickups are not nearly as hot. The neck profile on the Gibson is chunkier. I run both varitones in bypass position. Overall both good guitars but I wouldn't pay the 4,000 for a new Gibson. I'm not impressed with the case. The interior is very hard and not soft at all. In fact my Epi Sheraton is living in the Lucille case and Lucille in an Epi one.

I picked up an Epi Lucille a while back while it's a pretty good guitar, I also picked up Eric Dahl's book about Kings guitars and finding and returning King's current #1 Lucille and I got GAS for the real thing. We'll I found one for a good price and snagged it. It's in good shape and appears to have been a wall hanger with some minor finish damage and a nasty cigarette smell. She's all cleaned up now and I love it! This is my first Gibson ES guitar.

20150507_140003.jpg

Congrats! I have the exact same model and the exact same year of manufacture. These are fantastic guitars and given how much the prices for the new ones have gone up - it turned into a great investment as well. I bought mine new from the local Gibson dealer back in 2005 after B B King played here. The one & only time I saw him play. Thankfully I got to see him given he is now in hospice care. The King of the Blues! [thumbup]

rest in aloha bb king... thank you for all of the tips and memories... and thank you for your lucille guitar! you will be thoroughly missed.

awesome guitar! I got my guitar set up and action lowered by guitar tech. I installed hotter bare knuckle "mule" pickups in the neck and bridge, changed out the t6 tailpiece for the gibson's stop bar tail piece, and graph tech graphite bridge saddles in my lucille. she plays like butter and sounds so sexy! standing/carrying her during 3 hour sets get brutal... sometimes... shucks! maybe I should keep a chair on stage?

Archived