Gibson Brands Forums

Low end Epiphone question.

Fatstrat

OK Epiphone aficionado's, What's the difference between a DR-100 and a PR-150?

I'm one of those weird people who can't pass up a guitar bargain. And in the last 2 years have purchased 2 low end Epiphones off local classified. Even though I also own a Martin D-18 and Gibson J-50. The 1st one was the PR-150VS 2 years ago for $60. And a DR-100VS today for $50. Both are like new. The one I bought today doesn't even need strings.

Visually they have but 1 minor difference. The 150 has black binding and 100 has white. (IMO making the lower model more visually appealing). Other than that they are IDENTICAL as far as I can tell.

What IS the difference between the 2 models? BTW, I actually do play the PR150 pretty often.

OK Epiphone aficionado's, What's the difference between a DR-100 and a PR-150?

I'm one of those weird people who can't pass up a guitar bargain. And in the last 2 years have purchased 2 low end Epiphones off local classified. Even though I also own a Martin D-18 and Gibson J-50. The 1st one was the PR-150VS 2 years ago for $60. And a DR-100VS today for $50. Both are like new. The one I bought today doesn't even need strings.

Visually they have but 1 minor difference. The 150 has black binding and 100 has white. (IMO making the lower model more visually appealing). Other than that they are IDENTICAL as far as I can tell.

What IS the difference between the 2 models? BTW, I actually do play the PR150 pretty often.

Try here - best info on Epis anywhere

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Acoustic_Guitars

HA! As I suspected...NO DIFFERENCE. Except at the retail price. That's what you call BRILLIANT marketing.

True; you're unlikely to want "one of these and one of those" if they're the same thing. #-o But the designations do signify different production runs through certain years, and (I don't know, but) may even indicate production in different factories, depending on year.

Epuphone low end = most manufacturers mid range in my book. Anyone looking for a beater guitar will not be didappointed. And as Cliff maintains with a proper setup and maybe a few upgrades they are stage ready and definitely good enough for a studio. Even the laminate tops sound great

Epuphone low end = most manufacturers mid range in my book. Anyone looking for a beater guitar will not be didappointed. And as Cliff maintains with a proper setup and maybe a few upgrades they are stage ready and definitely good enough for a studio. Even the laminate tops sound great

I agree to an extent. I'll be 56 in a few months and have been playing guitar since I was 10. And over the decades I've owned many many guitars. And although I own a Martin and a Gibson, there's (obviously) a place in my stable for these. I bought the 1st one (the PR-150) because it was cheap and I wanted a beater. But after adjusting the action and upgrading the strings, I not only liked the tone. But it's IMO the most playable guitar I own. And it's been in regular rotation on my stand ever since. It's not the same tone as Gibson or Martin. But it does have it's own "voice" that I like. The most noticeable thing it lacks that the others have is volume.

So far on the 100, all I've done is lower the action. Haven't changed the strings yet. It's tone is similar to the other, but a tad brighter. I put 80/20's on the 150 to briten it up. I don't think this one will need them.

Fatstrat,

Have you had a chance to try out an AJ-220S? It has tone, volume and feel in spades. It's a solid top guitar that costs just $199 new....a ridiculously good value. If you throw in a good setup and a fret dressing you'll be blown away by how great it is and by how little you paid for it.

Fatstrat,

Have you had a chance to try out an AJ-220S? It has tone, volume and feel in spades. It's a solid top guitar that costs just $199 new....a ridiculously good value. If you throw in a good setup and a fret dressing you'll be blown away by how great it is and by how little you paid for it..

No I haven't. But I will now. [thumbup]

I had business near a GC this AM and decided to stop in and check out a AJ-220S. Was particularly interested in checking on a used SB one they had listed on their website. To my ears the used one, which had new looking strings as opposed to the obviously old dead ones on the others, sounded MUCH better than the new ones. But here's the rub. IMO it didn't sound as good as the DR-100. Neither the one I own or the new one I A-B'd it against at the store. And it certainly wasn't as loud. I had intended to buy the used AJ-220S if I liked it. But passed. Just didn't strike me as any improvement worthy the cash outflow.

I had business near a GC this AM and decided to stop in and check out a AJ-220S. Was particularly interested in checking on a used SB one they had listed on their website. To my ears the used one, which had new looking strings as opposed to the obviously old dead ones on the others, sounded MUCH better than the new ones. But here's the rub. IMO it didn't sound as good as the DR-100. Neither the one I own or the new one I A-B'd it against at the store. And it certainly wasn't as loud. I had intended to buy the used AJ-220S if I liked it. But passed. Just didn't strike me as any improvement worthy the cash outflow.

Might have been a bad one. The AJ-220S is miles better than any of Epiphone's all-laminate offerings.

Might have been a bad one. The AJ-220S is miles better than any of Epiphone's all-laminate offerings.

Like I said, I played 3 of them. 2 new and one used. Of which the used one with new (looking) strings sounded miles ahead better than the new ones. Possibly attributable to the strings. And perhaps it has opened up a bit more. I checked all of them over closely for defects. Particularly the neck issues that I learned these have a rep for. But I honestly say that I was under impressed. It certainly wasn't the cannon that the Advanced Jumbo design suggests it should be. I had a friend w/me who is also a guitar player. And we both agreed that we preferred the DR-100.

Not trying to make waves and everyone idea of good tone is different. I had cash in pocket to buy if it had been. But IMO it wasn't.

Like I said, I played 3 of them. 2 new and one used. Of which the used one with new (looking) strings sounded miles ahead better than the new ones. Possibly attributable to the strings. And perhaps it has opened up a bit more. I checked all of them over closely for defects. Particularly the neck issues that I learned these have a rep for. But I honestly say that I was under impressed. It certainly wasn't the cannon that the Advanced Jumbo design suggests it should be. I had a friend w/me who is also a guitar player. And we both agreed that we preferred the DR-100.

Not trying to make waves and everyone idea of good tone is different. I had cash in pocket to buy if it had been. But IMO it wasn't.

You're not making waves. My experience is just vastly different.

One good thing came out of it. I went back on Tuesday and bought a new Gibson J-45 I liked. [thumbup]

What??? Dude! Major congrats! That kind of takes this thread to a whole new level!

Of course, now we need details, pics, recordings, x-rays, family history, the whole nine yards! [cool]

I'm confused Fatstrat...you wanted to keep your acoustic purchases as cheap as humanly possible and you bought several $99 all-lam cheapos and then you went and bought a several thousand dollar J-45?

What the heck, man?!

the heart wants what the heart wants! sometimes if you're gonna go; go big!!

That he did!

I've yet to have played a J-45 in any store that I honestly thought sounded better than my Texan. And they only barely sound better than my AJ-220S.

0702f8a7a73560041a023164439df0f1e45ee1fb4737ebc2f3b301c5b1a2323e.jpg

My opinions are based on actual experiences with modern J-45s I've personally tried in stores (at least 10 of them).

Also, I own a late 40's J-50 that needs a rebuild (which I will eventually do for about a grand).

I'm confused Fatstrat...you wanted to keep your acoustic purchases as cheap as humanly possible and you bought several $99 all-lam cheapos and then you went and bought a several thousand dollar J-45?

What the heck, man?!

I never said anything about wanting to keep my guitar purchases as cheap as humanly possible. Although I kinda think we ALL want that. The whole thread started because I bought a used PR-150 a year ago to use as a camping/beater guitar And liked it so much that I bought another used DR-100 when it came available cheap. And comparing the two noticed that they appeared to be pretty much the same guitar. They you mentioned the AJ-220S and as I had opportunity to be near a GC I went and checked them out.Won't say I didn't like them (Well I liked one out 3), but to my ears they didn't appear to be an improvement over the cheaper all laminates that I already owned. So I passed. But while I was there, I kinda fell for a J-45. Which BTW was the only Gibson out of 5 that I played that I liked.

The kicker was that I already owned a vintage Gibson (52 J-50) that needed some work and was getting hard to play. The saddle had been shaved as low as possible and the action was still high and getting higher. And I had a standing offer from a guitar dealer to buy it as is for almost exactly what the new J-45 costs. The thing about the J-45 was that it sounded like the old J-50. So I flipped the old beat up guitar that needed repair for a new purty one that doesn't. I also own a Martin D-18.

Archived