Gibson Brands Forums

Refinish Body or Not?

ajay

I bought this Melody Maker for $150 when I was 15, about 43 Years ago. I got some bad advice from a very good guitarist who had just sanded down his RD Artist to eliminate finish cracks. Mine had a slew of cracks running through its beautiful Cardinal Red Metallic finish. I wish it was cracked Red today, but I sanded it and finished it in natural Mahogany.

At least I was smart enough to carefully leave the neck with its beautiful nitro cracks alone, so at least I can admire the original finish on the neck. I also used a chemical stripper, so the original shape details are still at least 98% original. Anyway, I'm considering refinishing the body to its original Cardinal Red Metallic. Would You guys refinish it or not? I asked the guys in the Acoustic Forum, and they were about 80% for leaving it alone.

2747F1A9-8042-4C95-AA6A-9E45CE94E0C6.jpg

It is a good little bass. The short scale makes it very easy to play, but it's really Bassy unless You dig in right at the bridge. Luckily that chrome piece is in a perfect location to get in at the bridge.

Archived