Gibson Brands Forums

soloing on pentatonics

hi, OK so I have learnt the minor pentatonic scale, and the extended sliding pentatonic starting on the Low G string and ending on the high E string, now I need ideas to create licks and runs using the scales, this is where I seem to struggle to create correct phrasing, the aim is to improvise along with blues rock backing tracks, thanks in anticipation of your response.

• 1 year later...

Learning to improvise is a process that takes time. It's frustrating but VERY rewarding. First thing I THINK you should work on, is: Take a simple phrase and repeat it till it's fluid. Then take that same phrase and rephrase it the way you would in normal English.

For example:

How you doin?

How YOU doin?

How you DOIN?

HOW you doin?

HOW THE **** ARE YOU DOIN?!?!

Play, within the phrasing, with your different vibrato techniques. If you don't have that under your belt, work on that as well. But approach phrasing like speaking. Look at the scale as a means to speak. The goal is not to phrase like Siri.

hi, OK so I have learnt the minor pentatonic scale, and the extended sliding pentatonic starting on the Low G string and ending on the high E string, now I need ideas to create licks and runs using the scales, this is where I seem to struggle to create correct phrasing, the aim is to improvise along with blues rock backing tracks, thanks in anticipation of your response.

What chord progressions are ya trying to play over?

Blues can get a bit dynamic!

When improv over blues backing tracks play the V(dominant) pentatonic scale over the dominant chord in other words drop back a minor third from the root of the chord and play that minor blues pentatonic scale.

I've found that most blues tracks begin on a dominant chord and most players are left playing chord tone scales. You could just stick with chord tone scales too which would be ok.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Learning to improvise is a process that takes time. It's frustrating but VERY rewarding. First thing I THINK you should work on, is: Take a simple phrase and repeat it till it's fluid. Then take that same phrase and rephrase it the way you would in normal English.

For example:

How you doin?

How YOU doin?

How you DOIN?

HOW you doin?

HOW THE **** ARE YOU DOIN?!?!

Play, within the phrasing, with your different vibrato techniques. If you don't have that under your belt, work on that as well. But approach phrasing like speaking. Look at the scale as a means to speak. The goal is not to phrase like Siri.

Thank you! That's a unique way of explaining it.

Archived