Gibson Brands Forums

Relative humidity

olie

Now that the warmer weather has arrived and the furnace isn't drying the air in our homes ,is it recommended that we stop keeping our solid wood guitars in cases with humidifiers? Is the problem now too much humidity or am I being too anal about it?I can understand the winter thing but my question is -is it alright to let the things breathe on their own during the summer months?Any thoughts would be appreciated.BTW I live near Lake Ontario so there is a certain amount of humidity so it's not a situation like Arizona (dry) or Florida (damp).

....is it alright to let the things breathe on their own during the summer months?

Generally, as temps increase, relative humidity decreases, so humidity varies through each day/night cycle. When not playing, I think it's better to keep 'em in their cases - where you have more control over their environment, and it keeps the humidity more stable rather than varying throughout each day. If the outside humidity is typically high, you probably won't need any humidifiers and may want to pull them out of the case. Get a hygrometer and watch it. I picked up a small cheapo digital hygrometer off ebay for 5 or 6 bucks to see if it worked as well as the $25 planetwaves one. Seems to work fine. I gotta get me some more of those.

I have a strange tale to tell about humidity. I keep two AJ220s in a spare bedroom (just to pick up when I'm upstairs - bedtime - etc) The room has had a small problem with damp patch in a corner of the room - Ceiling and wall about 9 to 12 inches. I have tried various ways to fix it over the last three or four years. Anyway I recently had the roof re-tiled which cured the damp patch once and for all. That was about three weeks ago. The other day I picked up each of the 220s to have a strum and check they were in tune (they usually are - good cheap tuners on these things). However both had a bit of fret buzz on the 1st and 2nd strings. One of the guitars I have never touched regarding neck relief the other I had lowered the action a few months ago so I had tweaked it somewhat. Both necks needed the truss rod adjusting as both were at least dead straight if not slightly bowed outwards. I have seen how some of you guys are constantly fighting humidity problems but here in the UK we never seem to get any sudden extremes of weather and when it does change the humidity stays fairy consistent. It just shows what a small amount of damp in a room can do. Well that's what I am putting it down to.[confused]

have seen how some of you guys are constantly fighting humidity problems but here in the UK we never seem to get any sudden extremes of weather and when it does change the humidity stays fairy consistent. It just shows what a small amount of damp in a room can do. Well that's what I am putting it down to.[confused]

Yeah - I don't have cases for any of my guitars and leave them everywhere about the house and never have a problem with any of them. I live in Belfast where it rarely drops below 0C and rarely gets above about 20C and is never humid (but very windy!). Also our heating is never on much either during winter so I'd say the air temperature in the hoiuse is pretty constant.

Archived