Gibson Brands Forums

J-35 Bridge Pins

Bozz

Does anyone know if Gibson consistently uses a standard size for bridge pins on their new J-35's? Or can they vary from guitar to guitar based on fit? I am looking to replace my plastic pins which have always jumped out at me looking a little cheap. I found some very cool dyed bone/abalone pins on Bob Colosi's website, but I'm not sure what size to get. My plastic pins fit perfectly, but I don't have digital calipers to accurately measure their underskirt diameter or taper angle. If anyone has upgraded their J-35 with Bob Colosi pins, I'd like to find out what size you ordered.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/products.asp

Thanks!

Bo

I called Gibson tech support and asked what size bridge pins are being used on their J-35's was told the only size measurement they have is "1 degree." I'm pretty sure that is not correct. Most pins these days have either 3 or 5 degree taper. They couldn't provide me with any information about diameter, or size number. I guess I'll continue to enjoy my plastic ones.

All Gibson Acoustic Guitars have the same size bridge pin. Call Bob Colosi and get your pins from him. He knows the right size even if Gibson doesn't. Ha..... Did you call Nashville or Montana?

All Gibson Acoustic Guitars have the same size bridge pin. Call Bob Colosi and get your pins from him. He knows the right size even if Gibson doesn't. Ha..... Did you call Nashville or Montana?

They are definitely not all the same by any means. Even Colossi will acknowledge that. If the poster is interested in Ivoroid pins these below at stewmac fit my J-45 perfect with out any alteration..they are 5 degree pins. Bone pins may also be ordered here. They are extremely high quality..they maintain your Gibson look...and the reviews found on this link are quite accurate..my pins fit perfect...from the stewmac package right into the Gibson J-45.

http://www.stewmac.c...ridge_Pins.html

Um.... I spent some significant time in the room where the bridges are drilled and fitted last summer, whilst investigating this manufacturing step, and yeah, at least on the day I was there, the same guy, the same drill, the same bit wad used, regardless of the model. My experience with the Collosi pins is that they all were provided just a bit "proud" so that one could sand them for a rather perfect fit.

I just called the 800 number Gibson lists on their website for tech support. They list a number for USA and another number for Europe. I didn't see different numbers for tech support in Nashville, or Bozeman. Hogeye, do you have a number for Montana tech support?

I actually did talk to Bob Colosi a couple of times today. And what he told me was that Gibson bridge pins are notoriously inconsistent and that he often has a difficult time fitting them. He said he could take a guess at what might work and send me a set to try. He also said that he would gladly take them back in return if they didn't fit. But, he said it would be better if I could get my pins measured and provide him with some accurate dimensions. I decided on the latter route and had my luthier accurately measure them for me. The dimensions turned out to be .214 directly under the skirt and .168 at at location 3/4" below the top measurement. When I called Bob Colosi back, he told me the taper angle is 3 degrees, but said that he didn't have any pins that would be even remotely close to fitting. Unfortunately that's the end of the story. No cool Colosi pins for my J-35. Damn.

I'll check out Stewmac. Thanks for the tip GL.

I've ordered 3 sets of pins (and saddles) from Colosi by means of a 10 minute phone call. Never had a problem. Same size pins for all three of my guitars. Yes, all holes and pins are not identical. Some pins seem to fit in some holes a little better. But this is not because Bozeman uses a 3/8 drill for the even numbered holes and a 1/4 drill bit for the odd. It's because of the nature of dealing with natural materials.

Some of these comments remind me of some of the reviews I read on Amazon. Folks will give a Rolex watch a score of '1' instead of a '5' because the wristband didn't fit. Or trash a $500 custom knife because it wasn't sharp enough, while hundreds of others attest it will shave the fuzz off a peach.

I'm in no big hurry for an answer and definitely not desperate. Thanks for the offer, though. My interest in different pins is partly cosmetic and partly just the idea in my head that plastic pins are inferior. I love the guitar. It sounds great and plays perfectly fine.

And for what it's worth, I'm not planning to leave.

I received a call from Jeremy at Gibson Montana this morning and learned he had already been following the postings in this thread. He seemed very interested in helping me out with my bridge pin questions and I appreciated his thoughtful assistance. He informed me that Gibson doesn't have size numbers on the bridge pins they use. But he recommended that I go with a smaller diameter. He also thought their pins have a 5 degree taper.

Armed with these new bits of data, I called Bob Colosi back for the third time. I shared the new information from my conversation with Jeremy this morning and I aksed what he thought about going with pins having a .215 diamter and a five degree taper. He said the numbers I gave him yesterday don't translate to 5 degrees and he warned that I could ruin my bridge and/or bridge plate by using pins with the wrong taper. He seriously discouraged me from guessing or experimenting, so I guess I'm back to where I was when I made the original posting.

I have wasted enough busy people's time on the issue, so will give up on the idea for now.

Thanks all for the feedback.

I received this information from Gibson a few years ago: "Here are the specs of the pins we use: 5-degree taper and a 0.070" (1.78mm) string slot. .218 at the bottom of the ball. .152 at the tip." Also, Gibson does not taper their bridge pin holes and all Gibson acoustics are drilled to the same size.

This would relate to a size 2A pin. I've ordered pins from BC in the past and a size 2A has always fit my Gibson acoustics.

I've heard Bob colossi's name mentioned on here as much as ren Ferguson's ....

Dozens and dozens have bought pins and saddles from him, why is he now telling people his pins don't fit Gibsons ??

Who knows? His website says that his pins are sized to the maximum size that will fit and he recommends filing them down to a more exact fit. Also, since Gibson doesn't taper their bridge pin holes, the degree of taper shouldn't matter.

Yes, GutiarStrummer is right - I got '2A' for my 3 Gibson acoustics. With a slot/notch in the crown ring for the string to feed through. Ten years on my SJ200 without any issues. You could FedEx one of your pins to Bob so he could send you a set that were a match. Or, you could take him up on his offer to send you a set he thought would be right.

I may have missed it - I assume this is a current generation J35 and not a vintage one? I assume you told Bob the year your guitar was built, so I'm really confused by the confusion. G'Luck.

I've heard Bob colossi's name mentioned on here as much as ren Ferguson's ....

Dozens and dozens have bought pins and saddles from him, why is he now telling people his pins don't fit Gibsons ??

I think Bob Colosi is happy to sell bridge pins to Gibson owners. He just recommends that you to measure them first.

Thanks for all the input. I ended up buying a set of bone pins from Macnichol Guitars & Mandolins through Amazon. It was B1ues Boy's recommendation. These pins have a 3 degree taper and a slightly smaller diameter than a standard 2A (as suggested by Jeremy Morton). They fit perfectly and seem to go along visually with the anti-bling vibe of the J-35. I don't really notice any difference in tone, but my strings are pretty dead and overdue to be swapped out.

post-57960-000105400 1432446111_thumb.jpg

Archived