Gibson Brands Forums

The reason i love gibson acoustics

JuanCarlosVejar

That sound is so.... unmistakable. It is a tone I no doubt yearn for and hear, when ideas for riffs run through my head.

I have played so many guitars, and so many acoustics.... I never paid attention to brands before 2000. I just played what I bought, and I bought what was playable and affordable. It wasn't until my first Gibson that I understood that the sound I really wanted was in those guitars.

Love my Martins, and they have a tone I need and use... but my Gibsons... Man. That's the sound.

I am not primarily a country music kind-of guy, but here is the full song JC...

I just love guitars. If it has 6 or 12 strings and is in the playable range I can have a blast with it. The day I do not feel the urge though to put down a Gibson and pick up a Harmony Sovereign or an Oscar Schmidt Stella is the day I should probably hang up my guitar playing shoes.

The day I do not feel the urge though to put down a Gibson and pick up a Harmony Sovereign or an Oscar Schmidt Stella is the day I should probably hang up my guitar playing shoes.

ZW, if you would play your guitars with your hands rather than your shoes, you might find that you prefer your Gibsons.

I love Gibsons, too. But I've spoken to more than one musician (off the record, of course) who when I've asked why they play a Gibson has told me it's because Gibson sponsored them or sent them a nice guitar. I'm not saying Mr. Foster doesn't play Gibsons because he loves them or that he would jump ship to another brand for sponsorship, but there are musicians who do, which is interesting -- and very smart on Gibson's part.

I love Gibsons, too. But I've spoken to more than one musician (off the record, of course) who when I've asked why they play a Gibson has told me it's because Gibson sponsored them or sent them a nice guitar.

No lie. I know a guy who recently hooked up with Garth Brooks. The first company out of the gate to offer him anything he wanted was Gibson.

It is hard to describe for me but in the beginning of my ventures of trying to learn guitar Gibson's just did not do it for me and I tried them but they did not feel right. Then a couple felt nice and always sounded nice. I wish they had more models in the acoustic side of it. More selections in the smaller body guitars would be nice. Now I prefer Gibson over all the others except a couple of the smaller makers such as Santa Cruz or McPhearson. None of which helps me play any better I am still learning but I have fun doing so and love the guitars.

No lie. I know a guy who recently hooked up with Garth Brooks. The first company out of the gate to offer him anything he wanted was Gibson.

Just for the record. Gibson did offer Garth Brooks a guitar and he turned it down. He loved them but said the company that he endorses "brung him to the dance" and he would stay with them. His manager flew to Bozeman and ordered a Custom Shop J-200 with "Old Glory "inlaid in the peghead just to rub it in as he thought they should do business with an American company. His manager paid big bucks for that guitar.

Garth Brooks is a very patriotic guy but he is also very loyal to his music. When he was getting started his present company gave him guitars and when he got bigger he refused to abandon them.

Some folks here think Gibson has to give guitars away to get folks to play them. Not so. They do endorse musicians but you can take this to the bank. Every company does this. Yes even the Martin company. They all have entertainment relations divisions and they all compete to GIVE guitars away. They call it product placement.

Many years ago Bob Dylan was touring and one of his J-45's, that Gibson had given him, was sent to Bozeman for repairs. Gibson just replaced it and Gibson was so ignorant they were going to bandsaw the guitar and throw it in the dumpster. I asked the GM if I could buy it. He said it was thrashed. I told him I didn't care and he sold it to me. Many that went to the early Homecomings got to play it.

Yeah, product placement is a big deal and it's always interesting to see which brand is going to show up in a movie or TV show.

I watched American Idol a few years back. When people auditioned they were playing all kinds of guitar brands. But if they made it to the third round or so they were all playing Taylors.

Probably a coincidence....

FMA

Checkout the old Gene Autry movies. He plays a Gibson or Martin in a lot of scenes when not on a horse but a Harmony or equivalent while on the horse. Apparently he was not a great horseman. Jimmy Wakely and gang can be seen in those old cowboy B's playing some fine looking old Gibsons too.

Checkout the old Gene Autry movies. He plays a Gibson or Martin in a lot of scenes when not on a horse but a Harmony or equivalent while on the horse. Apparently he was not a great horseman. Jimmy Wakely and gang can be seen in those old cowboy B's playing some fine looking old Gibsons too.

Autry apparently had a highly-customized 12-fret SJ-200, as did a number of others of his ilk. Them singin' cowboys liked their bling. Sort of explains why a number of them gravitated towards the fancier Gibsons rather than the plainer Martins.

Autry apparently had a highly-customized 12-fret SJ-200, as did a number of others of his ilk. Them singin' cowboys liked their bling. Sort of explains why a number of them gravitated towards the fancier Gibsons rather than the plainer Martins.

Fell in love with the singing cowboys and the guitars when I was very young, probably why I play Gibsons now.

Gene Autry was a fine horseman. He did a lot of his own stunt work and helped train Champion. I saw him ride in several Grand Entries at local rodeos here in Montana. I was just a little kid at the time but my dad took me to every rodeo in Montana where Gene appeared. In later life I became friends with Dale Berry one of Gene's lifelong friends and a Gibson player as well. Out of respect Ren Ferguson made a wonderful guitar for Dale Berry with his name on the fretboard. Dale has passed as well as Gene but they are remembered here in Montana.

Ray Whitley saw Guy Hart at a rodeo in Madison Square Garden. Gibson took him to Kalamazoo and he designed the Ray Whitley guitar. Ray took it to California where Gene Autry saw and played it.Gene called Gibson to order one. They made the finest looking guitar Gibson has ever made for Gene and a couple of years later the guitar morphed into the SJ-200. This is well documented by Eldon Whitford and many others. The other singing cowboys jumped on the band wagon, so to speak, and this is how Gibson became the guitar of the singing cowboy genre.

For me it depends on what it is I am going for, and the environment I am playing.

For fingerpicking, it's going to be the warm woody sound of a Martin.

For flat picking and strumming, it has to be the J200. I first heard 'that' sound I suppose from The Everly Brothers, and it has defined what a jumbo acoustic is supposed to sound like to me ever since.

If I am gigging out of doors though, or in an environment that I feel may be a threat to those precious Gibbys and Martins, I have a couple of Epiphones I use.

And speaking of movie stars guitars, I think it's in Horse Feathers that Groucho Marx uses a cherry early 1930's Gibson L5 while serenading Thelma Todd in a canoe. At the end of the tune there's a quick cut after which he tosses a cheap flat top overboard. I've read that Groucho used that Gibby guitar his entire life,and even long into his old age.

And speaking of movie stars guitars, I think it's in Horse Feathers that Groucho Marx uses a cherry early 1930's Gibson L5 while serenading Thelma Todd in a canoe. At the end of the tune there's a quick cut after which he tosses a cheap flat top overboard. I've read that Groucho used that Gibby guitar his entire life,and even long into his old age.

Didn't know Groucho was a guitar player. Think that scene must be revived - for better or worse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lCPmaq960E

Pretty clear from watching the clip that he really was a guitar player. What a find!

Thanx to Mister fromnabulax (sounds like G. Marx character ).

Always thought Groucho was a singer and a singer only - eeeehhh, talkin' musical abilities here. .

But yes, the shoe-polish-moustached trickster knows his ways around that fretboard.

Check this stuff out here for more about Groucho the guitarist:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/The-Surprisingly-Serious-Tale.aspx

I had the great privilege of seeing the master at an event in the last few months if his life, being given the chance to ask him a question, and then to be thoroughly lambasted by him for the stupidity of my effort.

Check this stuff out here for more about Groucho the guitarist:

http://www2.gibson.c...rious-Tale.aspx

I had the great privilege of seeing the master at an event in the last few months if his life, being given the chance to ask him a question, and then to be thoroughly lambasted by him for the stupidity of my effort.

Thanx again for this article - it is gold and went straight to the archive.

Regarding the mid70's it's almost impossible not to ask : What was the question ?

Thanx again for this article - it is gold and went straight to the archive.

Regarding the mid70's it's almost impossible not to ask : What was the question ?

To set this up a bit...

This was literally his final public appearance. It was at a book fair that was held in the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles. I can't remember the name of the big room any longer, but his session was held in the same room that Robert Kennedy made his final mini speech of celebration of his California primary election victory in 1968 just before being shot.

At this point, Groucho was in terrible shape and was being cared for by a woman named Erin Flemming who was his nurse, companion, and believed by many to be a not altogether healthy influence on the old guy. This appearance being a case in point. He was out there promoting a book he had prepared along with a collaborator and film fan Richard J. Anoble. In the pre vhs era, Anoble used to publish books that would recreate entire movies using hundreds of enlarged film frames with entire scripts of those films printed along side the frames.

So...

Groucho was scheduled for Q and A and was the featured headliner for the fair. When his appearance was scheduled to begin, thousands of fans squeezed into the big room of the hotel to see and hear from this guy who was at the time a true living legend of comedy, film and even vaudeville. I squeezed my way in and wound up at the very back of the room.

After a little while Groucho was introduced, and out came this incredibly tiny and feeble looking ancient human who was supported in either side by a couple of huge guys in orderly scrubs, each literally carrying the old man to a podium set center stage as it was clear the old guy was unable to walk on his own. Ms. Flemming stood by as they literally draped Grouch over the podium arms first. The guy wasn't even able to stand on his own any longer.

The session was scheduled to go for about an hour. Questions were shouted out from around the room but his answers were mostly unheard as his voice was a frail whisper.

After maybe 12 or 13 minutes of this, Ms. Flemming announced there would be one more question taken and then Groucho would be leaving. Hundreds of voices starting shouting their questions and from the very back I shouted as loudly and clearly as I could "Groucho! What's you're favorite joke!"

With a rising and angry rumble surprising me and making himself audible for the first time he barked....

"I.... DON'T... TELL... JOKES!"

It took him about 45 seconds to get it out, but he got it out.

With that the two orderly appeared from stage right, each hoisting the old man up by each arm and he was gone.

Within 6 months, he was dead...

Archived