Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Iced Tea vs Modern Classic...

agentcooper2001

I'm in the market for a Hummingbird again. I had a modern classic ('03 model) that I played for years and stupidly sold a while back. Looking on sweetwater's website, I noticed they had an Iced Tea Limited Edition model, which I really like the color of and I also saw where it has a round neck as opposed to a slim taper neck of the modern classic. Have any of you guys tried the Iced Tea model? If so, what are your thoughts on it, compared to other Hummingbird's? I'm also considering the quilted maple model.....I played a friends at our acoustic show last weekend and it sounded amazing.

I'm in the market for a Hummingbird again. I had a modern classic ('03 model) that I played for years and stupidly sold a while back. Looking on sweetwater's website, I noticed they had an Iced Tea Limited Edition model, which I really like the color of and I also saw where it has a round neck as opposed to a slim taper neck of the modern classic. Have any of you guys tried the Iced Tea model? If so, what are your thoughts on it, compared to other Hummingbird's? I'm also considering the quilted maple model.....I played a friends at our acoustic show last weekend and it sounded amazing.

Basically the same guitar. different finish and tuners, but the build is the same.

-Keith

Same Hummingbird guitar...much better color...watch out for neck differences however. Those can make or break a guitar! I prefer the slimmer neck verses the chunky neck. ...the chunky C necks makes my hand uncomfortable .Good luck!

i hear ya...i like the chunky C necks! i'm used to playing a 5 string bass though, so that may be why i feel at home with the bigger necks. Apparently they didn't make a bunch of the Iced Tea Hummingbirds, so it may be hard to find many people who've checked them out. They do look great for sure.

i hear ya...i like the chunky C necks! i'm used to playing a 5 string bass though, so that may be why i feel at home with the bigger necks. Apparently they didn't make a bunch of the Iced Tea Hummingbirds, so it may be hard to find many people who've checked them out. They do look great for sure.

I'd say go for it if you happen to prefer the chunky neck profile!. It will play and look like a dream! It's such a beautiful guitar in that iced tea color. I wish my brown Hummingbird were the same color. I'd be tempted to trade it for the iced tea bird if the neck were more right for me!

No need for insults.

I don't hear much here, either. Even with the new strings, it sounds a bit flat. This has been my issue with 'Birds. Most that I have played new just haven't excited me. But they are out there. The one I played at Russo's and which our Sal snagged was one of the good ones that made me seriously pause and consider dumping a few guitars to trade.

No need for insults.

I don't hear much here, either. Even with the new strings, it sounds a bit flat. This has been my issue with 'Birds. Most that I have played new just haven't excited me. But they are out there. The one I played at Russo's and which our Sal snagged was one of the good ones that made me seriously pause and consider dumping a few guitars to trade.

Then don't do it.

I feel really lucky. My SJTV is just awesome. And just when I thought no other guitar could grab me like that, this plain Jane standard Bird lights me up.

Modern Gibsons are great, but I have played a lot of great guitars. This Bird grabbed me four different times over the better part of a year, and I finally said Uncle and bought it. I was shocked it hung up on the wall so long. I think it's just that new guitars are expensive, and NJ is home to folks that don't have a Marin County budget.

Sal, I was shocked to hear it was still there. I would've thought there are some folks with serious cash in the Deal-Rumson-Colts Neck area who would've grabbed that gorgeous Bird. I'm glad it went to someone who knew how good it was.

For me, Gibsons are tricky. I've disliked as many as I've liked, but the ones I've loved have been pure magic. Which is fine by me. I prefer musicians, too (Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, Mark Kozelek, Mark Eitzel, Paul Westerberg/Replacements, Rolling Stones, Neil Young) who can be either horrible or transcendent on any given night. The highs are high and the lows are low. Much better than consistently mediocre or average. YMMV. :)

Smurf... I was delaying because deep down I was hoping we'd find a way to meet, pick, and I buy your Crow... I missed mine, which is what started me even picking up a Bird.

I agree with you on guitars and musicians it would seem as well...

Bring it down anyway one day, and let me host you for an afternoon.

Sal,

Sorry to say I just dropped it off at my local guitar shop -- Imperial Guitar in New Paltz, NY (formerly Newburgh). I realized that if it takes me months to take a picture, it'll take me years to find that weekend to get down to NJ. I figured once you grabbed that perfect 'Bird that the Crow was out of the running. I'm a terrible time manager and even worse at selling things.

Definitely new strings, BBG.

I much prefer broken in strings - maybe because I grew up playing in broken in Black Diamonds. Which I only changed when they broke. And, to my ears, the H'BIrd sounds better with broken-in strings. ( Broken IN, not broken ! )

Definitely new strings, BBG.

I much prefer broken in strings - maybe because I grew up playing in broken in Black Diamonds. Which I only changed when they broke. And, to my ears, the H'BIrd sounds better with broken-in strings. ( Broken IN, not broken ! )

Agree -

with both of you. .

Archived