Gibson Brands Forums

The Brands That Define Our Lives

SteveFord

I was thinking earlier today about how we become attached to certain items or manufacturers and how much these objects help define who we are.

In my case it's Buell and Triumph motorcycles, Magnepan speakers, Stax headphones and Ortofon cartridges for audio gear, Gibson electric guitars, Marshall amplifiers, Martin acoustic guitars, Red Wing and Sidi boots, Vanson leather jackets and Buck knives.

These are the brands that mean something to me.

Anyone else have certain things like that?

Hello!

I am very stubborn at it. If I find products of a brand reliable, it's very hard to convince me to use something else. And it's not necessarily a good thing, but safe at least.

But this habit of mine is only true for a very narrow range of goods: guitars, and related components, PCs, electronics. But I don't care about it when it comes to clothing, or household items, for example. It has more importance, when it comes to expensive things, than one would not replace very often.

But I follow this approach because of practical considerations, rather than for making a statement. For example, around the garden I used to use tools of very well known German brand, - let's call it Brand-S -, but I only had trouble with them. They were unreliable. Then, I saw tools made by Makita, used by a friend of mine. He could abuse them to extreme, without facing the slightest issue. Now, if I need a chainsaw, or such a heavy-duty tool, I only look at the products of Makita - not even considering something else (that's how stubborn I am).

Once a friend of mine said: "I am not rich enough to waste my money on cheap things." Very true. Cheap things - in the long run - are more expensive. (Of course, in case when they are expensive because of the built quality - which is sadly doesn't seems to be evident anymore these days).

Cheers... Bence

on some stuff yep

running shoes - Adidas, tried others these work the best for me.

jeans - Levis, 505s.. nothing else

beers, they must be IPAs and they MUST be good IPAs. (The kind of IPAs that makes my wife say, "OMG how do you even drink that stuff!")

I don't want to even get in to the OCD mess I can be when it comes to things like guitar strings and picks.

With guitars I certainly notice this.

Schaller straplocks, Levy's Leathers' straps, etc.

Clothing; I'm not too fussed, unless it's shoes / boots. I'm quite hard-wearing on those, so finding a good brand for me probably means business for life.

Not many brand's manage it to impress me.

There are lot's of thing's that you only pay for the name but they are not necessarily better in quality.

But some are worth to pay a bit more.

Well I'm on this forum and not another, you can guess what guitar's I like.

For amp's in this moment I only own Orange, and until I have another 12 inch cab and a full valve head I won't buy anythig else.

Once that's done, well I don't know. I'd like to try something like Vox or Fender.

Then Cleartone and D'Addario for my string's. Schaller, Dunlop, GHS and Tonepros I like too.

And for footwear I use almost exclusively this:

IMG-20121002-WA0001_zpsepz9d8mj.jpg

This one's are the newest I've got, the pair I had befor, well let's see.....

I think I stoped counting the year's when I had them over 12 year's.

And sometimes I still wear them,still working good, but do not look as good anymore.

For phone's I was a only Nokia-guy, but I heard they don't exist anymore.

Asus I discovered late but now I like their stuff a lot.

Hehe! Nice!

I prefer these:

antique%20boots%201939%20(1).jpg

These are the real classics! These boots conquered half of the European continent. Яussian oil-resistant military boots.

I have a pair, for gardening. :)

Back in the days, - when they were temporarily stationing here -, You could get these new from the soldiers for a bottle of beer.

Cheers... Bence

There was a time when I was very brand loyal. Levi's, Chuck Taylors, Pendleton, Porter Cable, Sony... But as I get older I just don't much care. I want quality in the things that matter and checking a label is no longer a sure way to figure that out. Thanks to WalMart, Levi's are made in China now and the fit is hit and miss. Pendletons are made in Mexico and now cost 3 times what they did when they were made in the U.S.

I still have lots of Levi's, Chuck Taylors and Pendletons but they are now "vintage". Hipsters try to buy my shoes all the time. I just don't feel the needs to define myself with brands anymore.

155087_569886923035243_2138426772_n.jpg?oh=4f4c9e41c57408869a5ad556d475366c&oe=55D31947

It's tough to find non-outsourced products these days which is what got me on the Brand thing. I picked up a pair of Herman Survivors at Wally World last year and it said Made In China on the tongue which really surprised me. Then I needed to buy all new motorcycle gear and it's been a struggle finding what was once so commonplace you never even had to think about it. Now it's where does it come from?

Imagine my surprise when an AGV helmet turned out to be made in China. The models under $1000 are made in China at our plant but the other ones are Italian said the customer service rep. That got me so pissed off that I've spent the past few months trying to find out what is what nowadays.

Good for Gibson for staying true - that's a really smart move for their company. Once you outsource your credibility takes a real hit (no offense, Epiphone owners). Made in Mexico Martin? Why not give it a different name and identity and bring it in under the corporate umbrella.

For boots it's (most) of the Red Wing, Chippewa and Thorogood but you have to do your homework to make SURE you're getting what you really want.

Off of the soap box and back to trying to break in these new Red Wings.

I just don't feel the needs to define myself with brands anymore.

[thumbup] If it works it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. That's my motto.

That said, I'm noticing a lot of footwear talk here (the older you get the more important good footwear becomes) so I'll kick in some brand name thoughts...

Work boots: I can't afford Redwings even though I hear they are amazing (and I don't work in boots for a living) but I have a pair of Justin's that I got from Tractor Supply for $75 that have outworked any work boots I've owned.

Running shoes: I buy Nikes. The "Free" ones (very minimalist) are perhaps the most comfortable shoes I've owned. If my feet hurt I wear them to work even.

Flip Flops: These are very important in Florida - the leather ones count as dress shoes here (some people call them sandals, but that's goofy). Reef are the best usually. Sanuk makes some nice ones as well.

Sandals: These are amphibious and sturdy - not flip flops (see above) and you wear them fishing in the shallows. The only brand worth buying is Keen.

Cowboy boots: Dan Post works well for me

Work shoes: almost exclusively Doc Marten's. They hold up well and fit my duck feet - even though they are no longer made in the UK, I've had good shoes that last every time I've bought them.

Light hikers: as in really tough sneakers... Keen and Scarpa have been great. My newest pair of Scarpas (they are an Italian company) is likely the best pair of light hiking/trail running shoes I've ever had. Amazingly comfortable and supportive.

Adidas

Chucks

Gibson

VOX

American Eagle

Hyundai

It isn't that I am loyal, its more like these fit right and play right....I want to claim the LP but I think I have settled into my SG-ness.

Converse All Stars were the ultimate running shoe when I was under age 10. My mom would never buy them for us. We got two pairs of running shoes a year. July 1st we received a pair for the summer. These were totally blown out by September due to 60 days of continuous play. In September we received our runners for school that year.

It looks like my counterfeit boot post disappeared; the point I was trying to make is whatever it is that you buy, make sure that you're dealing with a reputable vendor as the world has become a very untrustworthy place. It's not just "is this a real Les Paul?" anymore.

My apologies to the moderators for their trouble.

You have got to be careful with some "brand" names- such as mentioned Levi's. Once made in the U.S.- now outsourced; once good, reliable, now crap. I had Milwaukee power tools for the longest time. The wife just purchased me a drill/driver set- made in China. You can feel the lack of quality. I'll stake cash it won't last near as long as my larger U.S. made drill from 10-12 years ago, same manufacturer. So it goes...not happy.

Guitar Straps- Levys- the USA made.

Guitar Cables- Geroge Ls, Horizon (US made)

Guitars- Gibson, PRS, US Made Fenders, Breedlove U.S., (Korea is putting out some phenominal guitars, so not discounting them.

Amps- just got a MIM '68 Custom Deluxe Fender Reverb- so far so good! WILL NOT buy Chinese, period, Just me. Ben Fargen, Allessandro.

Strings- Elixir, D'Addario

Leather Jackets- Schott of NYC, Wolff of Canada

Boots- Redwing, Tony Llama (vintage- haven't need a new pair o' cowboy boots since I bought these), New Balance

Kitchen Knives- Cutco

Tools in General- yard sale, U.S.A. made and still servicable

I have no problem with quality foreign made items. Great stuff coming out of Germany, Japan, Russia, etc. I know we live in a "disposable" society now, but I was not brought up that way. I'm discouraged with my country as consumers in general; we put up with inferior products from countries where labor practices are questionable (being P.C. here, I feel VERY strongly about this, but don't wanna get banned).

In general, I will go WAY out of my way to get a quality "whatever", but I realize that I cannot keep from buying SOME things I consider inferior because the market is flooded and some things are just not attainable or are exhorbitant to the point of ridiculousness (my opinion).

Stepping off soap-box, not smiling...

Brian

Nikon, although some kit lenses are marvelous for my daily work but aren't as strongly made as in the old days. I probably shoot somewhere between 20,000 and 25,000 frames a year.

Boots... Tony Lama, Nocona. Occasionally Justins and occasionally splurge on Luchessi. All U.S. made, and I'm hard to fit and put boots through tough times in winter and rodeo season.

Hats... usually Stetson but occasionally Seratelli that's made in New Jersey, if that's in the U.S. I seldom pay more than $250 on a factory hat. I have a US made higher end - still a cheapie - Charlie One Horse as a knockaround. Two handmade made-to-measure that today run around $4-500. One is 25 years old and still is worn in bad weather and folks have asked if it's new. Straw hats are disposable. (I wear a hat and boots every day.)

Guitars... A few more expensive, but if brand is not something to wear like designer jeans, Epi quality (ignoring the logo and playing the things) has sold me on my last half dozen buys. Amps... I've a Chinese Kustom I like better than my current Fender SS... Nothing against tube rigs, but my two good ones, guitar and bass, weigh far too much for me to enjoy.

Vehicles... Jeep.

Jeans, Wrangler.

Scotch, Laphroaig. (not US made <grin>)

I do think that for the most part folks nowadays are far too much into glitz and brand than in utility and fitness for purpose and fitting one's personal geometry. That said, although purchased 20 years ago, I have a cupla 3 suits and a leather sportcoat (with special "for journalist" pockets made for me in Seoul that look like new, are super comfortable and regardless of "no name" tailors are super to wear.

pocket knives, keychain size Swiss Army, working size Kershaw. Firearms... depends on fit and purpose, just like guitars.

m

Archived