Mandolins, Banjos, Dobros

How did this forum get so far off track?

Totally agree. Sadly this area of the forum seems to be a ghost town and mistaken for meaning original 50's Les Pauls for some reason. Doesn't seem to be too many players of Mandolins, Banjos and Dobros on the forum in general either, which is also a shame. Guess it doesn't help with Gibsons current lack of production of banjos and dobros too.

I would agree.... [thumbup]

Players may be scared off by the speciality of the marque

There are many great mandolins, banjos, dobros etc other than Gibson

My mandolin(except my Epi Mandobird) and tenor guitar are of relatively cheap oriental mfg

Yet well giggable and with fine, usable tone... [thumbup]

And not forgetting the disproportionate love of Les Pauls and their associated rock players and musical styles exhibited on these forums...IMO only.... <_<

V

:-({|=

Hi Versatile. I think when it comes to these types of instruments a lot of people think they are old fashioned and not relevant anymore, not realising there is still a lot of talented musicians who make a living playing country, folk and even jazz & classical on these instruments.

I have an Epi Mandolin, Dobro & an Ashbury Banjo - all cheap yet workable instruments like you say...they sound pretty good too. I'd love a Gibson RB 250 or an Earl Scruggs banjo, but I have always paid more for guitars as it's my first instrument than on folk instruments. Some of the Gibson mandolins look beautiful on their site, but unless I was to join a pro band playing one I will have to stick with my Epi for now [crying] I have debated buying a second hand Gibson banjo or mandolin as you can get some really good deals in the used market, but then I see an archtop or acoustic guitar and end up going for that instead :rolleyes:

Anyway, talking of Gibson original instruments have you guys seen this beautiful creation? A F-5 120th anniversary mandolin that's about at the moments. Wowzers, it's mighty fine but costs a bomb [smile]

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/mandolins_detail.asp?stock=15012010585158

I regularly play with folk and bluegrass musicians....

Mandolins, banjos, tenor guitars, fiddles, accordions... :blink:

I also saw a Gibson mandolin on their website a while back

It was priced $25,000....

How cool is that?...

V

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey there - I normally hang out over at UMGF, but I certainly enjoy reading what you all talk about as well. I have a 335 and first-year Bozeman J-200 and an early 70's RB-250. The F-5 remains the standard in planet mando. Plenty of competition out there, but these are the real deal imo.

I'm always surprised when folks who don't listen to traditional or roots/Americana music are unaware of the real Gibson legacy, going back far before the big archtops and early Les Pauls. This is a company with a real heritage extending well beyond the contemporary genres, and it'd seem natural for Gibson fans to be aware. Oh, well . . .p

Hey there - I normally hang out over at UMGF, but I certainly enjoy reading what you all talk about as well. I have a 335 and first-year Bozeman J-200 and an early 70's RB-250. The F-5 remains the standard in planet mando. Plenty of competition out there, but these are the real deal imo.

I'm always surprised when folks who don't listen to traditional or roots/Americana music are unaware of the real Gibson legacy, going back far before the big archtops and early Les Pauls. This is a company with a real heritage extending well beyond the contemporary genres, and it'd seem natural for Gibson fans to be aware. Oh, well . . .p

Yes, I agree it's odd that a lot of people don't realise Orville began the company primarily as a Mandolin maker and that he also created some innovative designs like the guitar-harp. It's a shame there isn't more written about Orville and his life as it would be interesting to know more about that.

You have a great collection there Jim. I think I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread that I'd love a RB-250 and an F-5 and I too believe these are the benchmark instruments when it comes to banjos and mandolins. The J-200 is a brilliant instrument too, I myself have a few Gibson flat-tops including a J-185, J-35 and in the last few weeks I picked up a Dove which I'd been after for many years and I'm very excited about. I have a couple of Gibson archtops and a bunch of solid bodies as well - been a Gibson fan for many years [smile]

I've got an inexpensive Epi MB200 banjo with which I figured I'd recover some 60s memories of trying to cover Sandy Bull on an old longneck. But.... spending most of my playing with the Masterbilts, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Whoa! Quite a nice collection, Cougar. I'd sure like to get my hands on that '39 for an hour or two.

Thanks, Jim. My dad picked up that old Zenith back in the 40s after the war and played it for decades. I believe it's all laminate and not really that great a player. With all solid woods, the newer Masterbilts are in a very different league.

Hi Doug... [thumbup]

IMO choosing a mandolin is a fascinating and personal journey

There are many options at all price points

Flat-top Italianate crafted bowl backs suited to Vivaldi and Baroque Classical.... :blink:

Flat-top and back Celtic round holers

Archtop and back F-hole American style

Epi scroll type decorated from Gibson et al, at the top end price wise.... :-({|=

Solid electrics....like Epi Mandobird can be huge fun.... [biggrin]

Watching and listening to favourite artists can focus one's choice somewhat...

V

Hi Doug... [thumbup]

IMO choosing a mandolin is a fascinating and personal journey

There are many options at all price points

Flat-top Italianate crafted bowl backs suited to Vivaldi and Baroque Classical.... :blink:

Flat-top and back Celtic round holers

Archtop and back F-hole American style

Epi scroll type decorated from Gibson et al, at the top end price wise.... :-({|=

Solid electrics....like Epi Mandobird can be huge fun.... [biggrin]

Watching and listening to favourite artists can focus one's choice somewhat...

V

Thanks V. I will probably go with an F-Style Epi, but didn't know if anyone had any other favorites to suggest.

[smile]

Oh, and Doug, check out the mandolins at the Denver Folklore Center (denverfolklore.com). Plenty more instruments than are listed on line. If you e-mail or phone Harry Tuft, the owner, he'll not only give you some very specific information, but he'll usually be able to keep his eye peeled for just what you want.

Oh, and Doug, check out the mandolins at the Denver Folklore Center (denverfolklore.com). Plenty more instruments than are listed on line. If you e-mail or phone Harry Tuft, the owner, he'll not only give you some very specific information, but he'll usually be able to keep his eye peeled for just what you want.

Thanks for the info Country Jim. I will check into this place and those brands. [biggrin]

Archived