Gibson Brands Forums

Calling all Gibson 2015 owners.

scottpaine_69

It's just me again. I own a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic along wit a couple of other Les Pauls. I know there have been alot of negative things said about the 2015 line. I see some of the negativity has mellowed out a bit. I was just wondering how many other people out there have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul or SG with all the new feathers such as the brass zero fret nut and the G-Force tuning system and how do you like the guitars so far. I still say that the 2015 I own is the best guitar in my lineup. I did have a few hickups such as 1 of the tuning keys on the g-force stop auto tuning (I could still tune manually) but Gibson took care of the problem quickly for me. The only other issue was the brass nut getting groves cutinto it but that was also taken care of quickly. I know there will be people saying for a $2,300 guitar it should be perfect and stay perfect for ever. Well lets be real the only way a guitar will stay perfect is if you don't use it. I think everything put onto the 2015 line is good. The tuner isa time saver in any situation the nut is awsome if you want the ajustments for the slide setup but I like the fact that I can set the action as low or high as I want with out buying a new nut and having it cut. The one thing that people complain about is the wider necks. I understand that but for me I like the new design. I can shred faster on the wider neck but I do think that should have been an option and not put on all the 2015 models excluding the few models out there like the les paul classic rock model and a couple of SGs. Like I said, I like the wider necks on the 2015 but if I didn't I sure as heck can't afford a 2015 custom shop les paul considering that they start at a low low price of $5,299. I in all reality could barley afford the $2,300 I paid for mine. If it wasn't for the payment plan I have from the place I bought it from I would never have been able to buy it. Sorry! I went off topic. My main question is, how many people have a 2015 Gibson and do you like it and all the new feathers on it? I like mine and I'm glad I pulled the trigger and bought the 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic.

Love my SG Special wide neck and all. My biggest complaint was the G-Force tuners (mostly because I'm an old dog that doesn't like new tricks),,,anyway a set of Gibson Deluxe tuners cured that for me. The ZFAN is just starting to show some wear. I have just e-mailed Gibson warranty department hoping to get the replacement ZFAN. ZFAN, IMO is a great idea, because of the easy adjustment feature when setting up the guitar and that a replacement. when needed, is a quick and easy fix. There is no need for a trip to the luthier, which is usually costly and a lenghty turn around. The fit and finish and the fret work is about the best I've seen on a guitar costing around $1000. The '61 Zebras sound awesome, The case is nice, although a black traditional case is prefered. The Special gets played all the time and quickly became one of my favorites.

I have had my 2015 SG Special for about two months now. Old dog here too but I was drawn to the 2015 line because of all those new additions and now that I've been able to live with them a while, very pleased with all of them. Did one gig with it so far and it's a delight to play. I have lowered the '61 Zebra pickups in both the bridge and neck - the neck is now just about flush with the pickup ring, bridge a little higher, now that guitar is pretty much same vol into my amp as my 336 - the SG was a lot louder so I lowered the pickups. So far I'm not feeling compelled to change out the '61 Zebra pickups, I'll give it more time and see if I still feel the same way. The first thing I did was put on a fresh set of 10-46 strings and re-calibrated the G Force for those - very easy and quick - the string change wasn't any more difficult than any of my other guitars with locking tuners. I am going to buy second set of 6 of those screw-cap string locks - one of those little suckers could easily go flying in a dark backstage "dressing room" in a bar or club and I'd rather be prepared... Changing into and out of an open tuning is a breeze with the G Force - very fast and accurate. With a little bit of planning in the set list, I don't think I need to bring a pre-tuned guitar any more. This was a major interest I had in seeing how good the G Force would be at getting to the open tunings fast, and it's not disappointed at all. The neck is a little wide for a Gibson but it feels a lot like the wide/fat neck on my PRS McCarty - just a little attention to playing technique is all I needed to make sure that some unused strings were getting muted, I now use my thumb wrapped around more than I do on a Gibson 60's neck. The frets were immaculate, the Heritage Cherry finish the same way. The only thing I'm still debating is changing out that weird coffee-with-a-very-little cream colored pickup rings and poker chip... I am thinking about adding a black pick guard and changing the rings/switch ring to black as well, for a more trad. SG look. I got a very good price from a dealer I've been working with for years and I'm pleased that I finally jumped into an SG. Now I have a 4 Gibson family: the SG, a 336, 335 & R9. BTW I put a set of Fralin P92's in my CS336 - what a great set of pickups for that guitar, but that is a whole other post.

2EC3C0EC-2D4F-4D47-B94E-226776097204_zps9zawqmel.jpg

Here's my 2015 SG Special. I'm in the middle of doing so mods . I love the GForce system and the new nut and the finish is the best I have ever seen on a Gibson guitar. But thevreason I bought it is the wide neck. I love this neck.

I'm not a big SG guy but I do like that one. I may have to get an SG down the road. The 2015 finishes do look a lot better than some previous years. Besides the clutter in the room I'm in and my unshaved winter beard I'm sporting, this is on of the better pics. of the flamed maple top on my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic. gB27lFo.jpg

Here's my 2015 SG Special. I'm in the middle of doing so mods . I love the GForce system and the new nut and the finish is the best I have ever seen on a Gibson guitar. But thevreason I bought it is the wide neck. I love this neck.

I am spoiled by the new necks also. The next Gibson I buy will have to be another 2015 model. I'm thinking of a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional. If I do the traditional I think I'll be swapping out the pups for some higher output pups. I think I'll stick with the same finnish that's on my 2015 Classic. Heritage Cherry Sunburst. I did see that the price dropped from $2,800 to $2,400 on the traditionals so afterI pay off my classic I'll order the trad.

I never liked SGs at all. Then one day I was trying out pedals it a shop and their only "test Guitar" was a 2008 SG special. I played through a bunch of pedals for about 2 hours. By the time I was done I decided that I had been wrong in not looking at the SG for so long. Much lighter than the Les Paul. Better neck access. I ended up buying that SG.

The guitar looks fine, what kind of upgrades are you going to make?

Here are good quality knobs

temp_449.jpg

The guitar looks fine, what kind of upgrades are you going to make?

Here are good quality knobs

temp_449.jpg

Well, I bought this neck and body from StratOsphere just for this project. The bridge pickup is really a humbucker under a P90 cover. Each coil of the humbucker is like a strat pickup. Each coil has it's own Vol and Tone. Later I may add a neck pickup. I have some cool old 70's melody maker single coil covers with the Gibson logo on the top. We'll see. Then there is the SGX pick guard. to cover the rout for the neck humbucker. It's hard to see the color of the knobs in the photo but they are an amber color that I think goes better with the finish than the gold reflector top knobs. The pots in it are my favorite ALPHA mini pots. Then there are the strap locks and I think I'm going to swap the bridge and stop bar for a chrome set I have to better tie in the P90 cover. I'll try to add a picture that better shows the knobs.

Nice project, if you want to upgrade the bridge consider Faber INsert studs + Faber ABRN '59 bridge. Incredible sustain, the sound is open not compressed and more good vibrations in your estomac...

I made this upgrade on my customized Cream SG Std Ebony fretboard, le result is very very good. About the stopbar, aluminium is not good for a SG the sound will be very flat

gibson41.jpg

18B13614-01BE-445B-823F-8D1A49057CEB_zpsf8x5sbj3.jpg

Hopefully this picture shows better how the color of the knobs goes with the color of the burst. The bridge in the picture is an aluminum it's just The stock satin chrome bridge that comes with this guitar. I'm going to swap it with the Chrome one on my Les Paul. I'm not a fan of boutique bridges. I preferred the stock Gibson models.

That white SG looks fantastic!

Archived