Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic-Electric Comparison

Daveyl7

For those of us who have a preference. Opinions please. I tried the EL-00, was not impressed, but I didn't plug in. Probably worth another try.

I have the EL-OO and love it. When I was looking at them it was the fifth one that spoke to me. You could maybe try a few more out if you want one.

For those of us who have a preference. Opinions please. I tried the EL-00, was not impressed, but I didn't plug in. Probably worth another try.

I can't compare to the AJ220sce, but I've got an EL00 pro, which is certainly quieter compared to a Masterbilt. But compared to an instrument made 1,000 years ago, it's a working precise technological piece of art. I like playing it. It's stable, stays in tune. And yeah, plugged in is where it shines, especially with a modeling amp. B)

• 2 weeks later...

The EL-00 Pro is a favorite of mine (as I've written about in the past.) Can't really compare it to the larger AJ-220 I only recently tried, but as indicated in my recent post in another string I was quite impressed with it. The EL-00 connected to me a number of years ago before the EL-00 Pro version came out. Kept thining about getting one for about 5 years (when these things connect they never leave your mind as many of ya's know)until I at last acquired the EL-00 Pro through a guitar trade. The only thing I don't really like about my EL-00 Pro is the built in under saddle Fishman pickup. I rest my right handle on the saddle a lot as a sound mute to nuance my playing and it doesn't jive with the under saddle pickup's sound...so, I use one of my Fishman Humbucker soundhole pickups when I use the EL-00 as an electric. (I've left the under saddle pickup in the guitar, though.) I really like the vibe, sound, and overall feel of the EL-00 Pro. I put in a slightly higher compensated (real) bone saddle on mine than the compensated (imitation) bone saddle that came with the guitar...which slightly increases the little guitar's volume when playing acoustic. If all modern Epi's are as good as my EL-00 Pro and the AJ220 that I played...I can't see how anyone can criticize Epiphones in any way shape or form at whatever their price.

QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff

No doubt Epiphone quality is outstanding, I love my Masterbilt AJ and I had fun playing a Texan for a month, just wasn't my cup of tea. I now want an affordable electric-acoustic, but I may have to sell my Alvarez parlor if I get another guitar. Tough choice because my Alvarez is a cool instrument, just not a plug in.

How do you like soundhole pic ups? Favor a low price option, I can use on the two guitars I already own.

I haven't used them personally but I have friends that have used both the LR Baggs and the Duncan sound hole pickups and they had good results. I just haven't had any luck with Shadow products. I have an older AJ Masterbilt with the LR Baggs and like it better than the current Shadow systems.

I haven't used them personally but I have friends that have used both the LR Baggs and the Duncan sound hole pickups and they had good results. I just haven't had any luck with Shadow products. I have an older AJ Masterbilt with the LR Baggs and like it better than the current Shadow systems.

I ordered a Duncan Woody xl yesterday, it seemed to be reasonably priced and sounded good on youtube. The LR Baggs M1 sounded better and cost double. I know you get what you pay for, this is entry point for me. I'll try it out on my Masterbilt and my Alvarez. Probably don't need another guitar.

I ordered a Duncan Woody xl yesterday, it seemed to be reasonably priced and sounded good on youtube. The LR Baggs M1 sounded better and cost double. I know you get what you pay for, this is entry point for me. I'll try it out on my Masterbilt and my Alvarez. Probably don't need another guitar.

that's ridiculous!! of course you NEED another guitar!!

let us know how the pickup works out. I'm always looking for unique ways to get a different texture out of an acoustic in the studio.

that's ridiculous!! of course you NEED another guitar!!

let us know how the pickup works out. I'm always looking for unique ways to get a different texture out of an acoustic in the studio.

Yes, I NEED another guitar. I also need to keep the peace with my WIFE. Trying out the pickup will be fun.

Archived