Gibson Brands Forums

2015 models and new cases

scottpaine_69

First off, most of this I put in previous thread and I hope this doesn't irritate anybody. I do apologize if it does. One thing I forgot to bring up is about the new Gibson Les Paul guitar cases. Has anybody had any issues with theres and what do you think of them? Now here is the repeat thread but I'm just curious about how many people have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul or SG with all the new features? It's just me again. I own a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic along wit a couple of other Les Pauls. I know there have been alot of negative things said about the 2015 line. I see some of the negativity has mellowed out a bit. I was just wondering how many other people out there have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul or SG with all the new feathers such as the brass zero fret nut and the G-Force tuning system and how do you like the guitars so far. I still say that the 2015 I own is the best guitar in my lineup. I did have a few hickups such as 1 of the tuning keys on the g-force stop auto tuning (I could still tune manually) but Gibson took care of the problem quickly for me. The only other issue was the brass nut getting groves cutinto it but that was also taken care of quickly. I know there will be people saying for a $2,300 guitar it should be perfect and stay perfect for ever. Well lets be real the only way a guitar will stay perfect is if you don't use it. I think everything put onto the 2015 line is good. The tuner isa time saver in any situation the nut is awsome if you want the ajustments for the slide setup but I like the fact that I can set the action as low or high as I want with out buying a new nut and having it cut. The one thing that people complain about is the wider necks. I understand that but for me I like the new design. I can shred faster on the wider neck but I do think that should have been an option and not put on all the 2015 models excluding the few models out there like the les paul classic rock model and a couple of SGs. Like I said, I like the wider necks on the 2015 but if I didn't I sure as heck can't afford a 2015 custom shop les paul considering that they start at a low low price of $5,299. I in all reality could barley afford the $2,300 I paid for mine. If it wasn't for the payment plan I have from the place I bought it from I would never have been able to buy it. Sorry! I went off topic. My main question is, how many people have a 2015 Gibson and do you like it and all the new feathers on it? I like mine and I'm glad I pulled the trigger and bought the 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic.

Hi Scott!

Well I am very curious about the new cases. The normal one's look better to me, but I have to admit the newer one's look like indestructable.

Would be cool to have one for traveling. What do you think, comaparison?

I had an older brown gibson case and as I was walking out of the guitar shop with a les paul studio I just purchased the handle on the case broke and it went crashing to the ground (It did do its job of protecting the guitar). They gave me second case but I declined and told them I want an SKB case so that's what my LP studio has been in since 1996. Sure the SKB dosen't look as pretty but it does its job. I have a New Gibson case also I like the retro look and it is tough they did get rid of all the fancy red velvet/silk covers on the inside of the case. I don't care if the inside of the case looks pretty I just want it to protect my guitar and have a nice size storage compartment which the new cases do. So far I'm happy with it but It's not really been road tested by me yet. I was curious as to if any body has had a new case/guitar thats been loaded and unloaded from shows, gigs, rehersals, studio. just to get an idea of how well it will hold up. I'll be starting alot of the loading and unloading soon and I want to make sure it's gonna hold up. I mean my SKB is almost 20 years old and has alot of road time, it's beat up and doesn't look pretty but it still funtions after all these years. The new gibson cases seem to look like my old skb case material in and out so I'm hopeing for a long life for the case and guitar.

Cool bro, thank's for the info.

My Gibson case does it's job pretty good. Traveled a lot with it. I only hope that it will keep doing it. Don't wan't to see it droping to the ground!

But I guess that's like everything, there are good and bad ones. Problem is with guitars you notice pretty soon when you picked a bad one, but with the cases you only know it when it's to late.

I just "took delivery" (LOL) of a 2015 LP Junior. Generally...I love it! The wider neck took, for me, a bit to get used to. But I'm not a shredder (good to know it works for that style, tho..)and the neck is working out just fine.

I like the G-Force tuner. But, silly as this may sound, I'm replacing it with Grover Roto's. It's a "traditional thing for me. I know it may be silly- I've had no problems with the G-Force, but playing and looking on the G-Force...dunno. I'm gonna be putting the G-Force up for sale soon.

Zero fret nut. Again- no problems. I'm not getting any grooves as of now. I e-mailed Gibson two weeks ago and asked what would happen if mine developed grooves- I am planning on gigging with it regularly beginning the end of May. Is it possible to buy a replacement nut just in case? How long would it take to procure a replacement? I carry extra strings, tubes, picks...you get the idea. Three days later I got an email in return, very nice, thoughtful. A week after that I had a Fed Ex. mailer and a "proto-type" nut sent from Gibson. This one is silver in color. I was requested to report on how the proto fared. My confidence in Gibson, very good to begin with, is even better now. Way to go, Gibson folks!

The new case- I like it alot! Now, I haven't been traveling with it, yet. But I will be. It seems sturdy enough. Not a flight case by any stretch. BUT- I've always liked the rectangle cases for traveling purposes (my beloved G&Ls have come with that shape for as long as I have experience with them...)and the handle has some padding. Balances well-important for me.

Cases have always been, to me, something to protect the guitar and to help delay the effects of changing humidity. Nothing more. I put stickers and draw on all my cases. Helps for identification should someone decide to make off with your axe at a gig, etc. Easier to spot, too!

The inside of the case seems OK. I've pushed and poked it somewhat. Don't know whats under the lining; it seems NOT to be a foam, but seems sturdy enough...we shall see! I should also note I am VERY careful with all my equipment, especially my guitars and am careful to avoid backing over them with my car, setting them up against vehicles, walls etc. in an upright position; throwing them to the guy in the back of the van when packing out, etc.!

Oh... the inside compartment is plenty roomy. I do wish the guitar fit inside as snugly as my SG does in it's TKL case. But for the cost, I think it's a great case.

Brian

I just "took delivery" (LOL) of a 2015 LP Junior. Generally...I love it! The wider neck took, for me, a bit to get used to. But I'm not a shredder (good to know it works for that style, tho..)and the neck is working out just fine.

I like the G-Force tuner. But, silly as this may sound, I'm replacing it with Grover Roto's. It's a "traditional thing for me. I know it may be silly- I've had no problems with the G-Force, but playing and looking on the G-Force...dunno. I'm gonna be putting the G-Force up for sale soon.

Zero fret nut. Again- no problems. I'm not getting any grooves as of now. I e-mailed Gibson two weeks ago and asked what would happen if mine developed grooves- I am planning on gigging with it regularly beginning the end of May. Is it possible to buy a replacement nut just in case? How long would it take to procure a replacement? I carry extra strings, tubes, picks...you get the idea. Three days later I got an email in return, very nice, thoughtful. A week after that I had a Fed Ex. mailer and a "proto-type" nut sent from Gibson. This one is silver in color. I was requested to report on how the proto fared. My confidence in Gibson, very good to begin with, is even better now. Way to go, Gibson folks!

The new case- I like it alot! Now, I haven't been traveling with it, yet. But I will be. It seems sturdy enough. Not a flight case by any stretch. BUT- I've always liked the rectangle cases for traveling purposes (my beloved G&Ls have come with that shape for as long as I have experience with them...)and the handle has some padding. Balances well-important for me.

Cases have always been, to me, something to protect the guitar and to help delay the effects of changing humidity. Nothing more. I put stickers and draw on all my cases. Helps for identification should someone decide to make off with your axe at a gig, etc. Easier to spot, too!

The inside of the case seems OK. I've pushed and poked it somewhat. Don't know whats under the lining; it seems NOT to be a foam, but seems sturdy enough...we shall see! I should also note I am VERY careful with all my equipment, especially my guitars and am careful to avoid backing over them with my car, setting them up against vehicles, walls etc. in an upright position; throwing them to the guy in the back of the van when packing out, etc.!

Oh... the inside compartment is plenty roomy. I do wish the guitar fit inside as snugly as my SG does in it's TKL case. But for the cost, I think it's a great case.

Brian

It only took about 5 days total from e-mail to receipt of the new nut. It only took about 10 minutes to swap out. So I'm happy with gibson on that front. My new one is the same color as to original nut but it is made a bit differant than the original such as having smaller grooves for the strings to go through (which reduceses the pinging sound when you do bends on the lower frets) and fitting into place a bit tighter.

I have 2015 Les Paul Studio in Desert Burst. Love the guitar like the G Force tuning system have not had any problems with the brass nut at all the wider neck is not a problem to me i play 7strings also so i am used to going back and forth from fender to Ibanez to my 14 Les Paul to the 15 Les Paul with no problems.

Overall I think the case's improved considerably since the 90s. The brown cases's back then where not as well QC'd as last years imho. The Custom Shop imho are the least protective of all of them. SKB works well as do the new cases's. ABS case vs traditional I suppose.

Archived