Gibson Brands Forums

Grovers to replace MinEtune

Lefty Adams

Hi - I'm replacing the MinEtune on my 2013 Les Paul Sig T, and I want to replace with Grover locking tuners as Gibson originally fitted on the Signature T's (the models without the MinEtune of course!).

Does anyone know which model Grovers they were, I am thinking 502 in chrome, is that correct? Tulip style I believe. Thanks.

Ah, browse through the photos.

You'll find a picture where all the possible replacement options are shown at once. At least, those ones which were used by Gibson previously.

In Your case, - since You are looking for the locking version -, look for the ones that have the mounting ears oriented the same way, as the ones on that picture.

Cheers... Bence

Hi!

There was another member here that has replaced his tuner's.

In his case he used Kluson's.

Here is a link:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/119552-removing-min-etune-unit-and-machine-heads-and-replacing-them-with-manual-machine-heads/

Don't know for sure about Grover's, but maybe you find out If you sending an e-mail to Gibson asking what exact model they used.

Or ask Grover, maybe they can tell you.

Good luck

I think, You are right: it's the 502s.

Here it is:

502.jpg

From that FB page, Grovers in place of the MinEtune:

10526144_867180836682719_4652573650805745565_n.jpg?oh=2f64d36563ca6ca5397b2501c4787f07&oe=5603B471

Note the position of the mounting ear. It's the same orientation.

Cheers... Bence

Hi!

There was another member here that has replaced his tuner's.

In his case he used Kluson's.

Here is a link:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/119552-removing-min-etune-unit-and-machine-heads-and-replacing-them-with-manual-machine-heads/

Don't know for sure about Grover's, but maybe you find out If you sending an e-mail to Gibson asking what exact model they used.

Or ask Grover, maybe they can tell you.

Good luck

Thanks!

In fact, - Donny just told me - if You remove the gadget, You won't find any screw holes on the back of the headstock.

So, not even the orientation of the mounting ears matter.

Cheers... Bence

They use the 102c rotomatics from Grover. But the other style that Bence showed will fit as well.

No I don't think it's the 102 in chrome. They are locking rotomatics and have a 'thumbwheel', so looking at Grover's range, the 502 is the only one which fits this I believe.

No I don't think it's the 102 in chrome. They are locking rotomatics and have a 'thumbwheel', so looking at Grover's range, the 502 is the only one which fits this I believe.

Ooops forgot they were locking.

So long as the holes are 10mm, any Rotomatic-type tuner (Grover, Gotoh, generic Epiphone) will fit. Kluson-type tuners will require 10mm conversion bushings to fit a guitar with 10mm holes.

And the mounting ears on pretty much any Rotomatic or or Rotomatic-type tuner will be in the same spot.

So, what you use is entirely up to you. If the posts are not 10mm, they will need to be reamed.

That link is interesting, thanks.

I did enquire to Gibson Europe, finally got out of them which model tuners Gibson fitted to the 2013 Signature T Les Paul, and it was the 502 series, which I did suspect all along. That's good then.

But Gibson have told me that not only would it invalidate the warranty, big deal, but also 'the model specifications change during the years, the tuner holes on MinETune models are drilled especially for accommodation this technology. Hence we suggested not changing the tuners.'

Well I can take this one of two ways, either ignore it and go ahead. Or not do it of course and try to live with the ridiculous Min-Etune thing.

Besides, seems loads of people have done the switch, bore holes being the right size of course. Reading through the link supplied (thank you Searcy), seems easily done to me. But reading through your blog Searcy, you seem to like it, hmmmm ......

That link is interesting, thanks.

I did enquire to Gibson Europe, finally got out of them which model tuners Gibson fitted to the 2013 Signature T Les Paul, and it was the 502 series, which I did suspect all along. That's good then.

But Gibson have told me that not only would it invalidate the warranty, big deal, but also 'the model specifications change during the years, the tuner holes on MinETune models are drilled especially for accommodation this technology. Hence we suggested not changing the tuners.'

Well I can take this one of two ways, either ignore it and go ahead. Or not do it of course and try to live with the ridiculous Min-Etune thing.

Besides, seems loads of people have done the switch, bore holes being the right size of course. Reading through the link supplied (thank you Searcy), seems easily done to me. But reading through your blog Searcy, you seem to like it, hmmmm ......

I love the MinEtune. I have added them to two of my older guitars, an SG and a Les Paul, and now have a 2015 SG with the GForce. My advice would be to try it for a bit and see if you like it. If you find that it's not for you then swap in some new Grovers and sell the MinEtune for 2 or 3 times what the Grovers cost you. You win either way. [thumbup]

Hello!

Check out this page: http://www.facebook.com/lespaulclassictraditional?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

It contains lots of informations on how to return a Les Paul to it's traditional format.

Cheers... Bence

That facebook page is awesome. Gibson you should take notice!

Return the Traditional and Classic to original specs!

As per the grovers - 18:1 rotomatics will do the trick. Be wise though and don't buy locking tuners. I just subbed out locking tuners on my 2013 Standard. Always felt like my open strings felt like they were choking. Put a new set of 18:1 standard rotomatics and my open chords came to life. Larger posts and windings on your strings. It may sound insane but my ears tell me otherwise.

I do not believe that changing out the min-e-tune will void your warranty. Maybe in Europe but not here. Be careful who you believe about that kind of stuff. One slight misunderstanding can lead to significant consequences. The stuff in quotations above is kind of dopey.

Archived