Gibson Brands Forums

Concerts in Boston

daveinspain

Rock isn't dead as long as there are those who love and support it. There is a big push in my area where local venues (not talking 'dance clubs') are booking DJs and "electronica" cr...er...stuff. Neither is 'my thing'. I love live bands, everyone playing an 'actual' instrument, mistakes and all. Lots of times 'magic' happens. Just my opinion. In the next 20 or 30 years I'll be dead but as long as I'm alive I'll support, and encourage others, especially the younger folks, to get out and see a real, live act.

So, in answer to your question, sir. I do not like Barry Manilow at all- but thats just me. Steve Miller has been a hit with me from the first time I've heard him. Steve and company would be my pick, given you can attend one only.

Cheryl Crow- love her. So she'd be a "second" pick for me.

Another reason- Lord only knows how long Steve Miller will be performing. Everything else being equal, Cheryl Crow shouldbe around for a while.

Have fun whatever you do, watch out for 'the man' and "rock on wit your bad self"!

Brian

Brian

There is a big push in my area where local venues (not talking 'dance clubs') are booking DJs and "electronica" cr...er...stuff.

Welcome to the 90's.

rct

I understood. That started happening around here in the 90's. By early 2000s nearly all the venues I ever played at were gone, bigger places only getting DJ "show"s. Not any different today. Once the venue owners get a taste of not having to pay bands and all the headaches associated they don't go back.

rct

It isn't about genres or types of music that people want or anything like that, not here it isn't.

rct

That's right! Venues "Not having to pay" says it all. There are a few hold-outs, older places where the clientele hasn't changed much. Bethlehem Pa. has the Musik Fest every year but few and far between. Sad...IMO

Brian

Rock? Nobody cares.it is a niche market at best.

The best markets usually are. [biggrin] As you know there are tons of killer young bands out there (you've shared some with me). Are they getting the attention they deserve? No. But think about this... anytime there has been a major focus on rock music in the mainstream it has led to countless cookie-cutter acts hopping on that particular bandwagon. I don't miss that. At least a lot of the young bands today have a sound of their own. Just sayin...

... most of bands and music i am into is blech to the majority here...

Well, a lot of people here would rather keep listening to their Beatles and Zeppelin records and complaining about how there are no good bands today. :rolleyes: Keep keepin' on, bro. While I may not be as into stuff like Ty Segall as you are, I appreciate when you post new music and I never fail to check it out. Pushing one's boundaries is always good, so know that it is appreciated. [thumbup]

Oh yea, I hear you, I go to see new bands all the time.

I am addicted to the fact that I can see these bands up close, that I can buy merchandise directly from them, that I get to talk to them,etc as opposed to see them in an arena setting 50-100 yards away and pay$200 for a ticket.

I love classic rock but it is not a replaceable resource, a lot of these 60, 70s and 80sbands will be gone in 10 years. I get the idea of reliving the past but I don't get why fans don't seek out new bands. It's a classic rock herd mentality even more surprising when it comes from musicians. I saw an article that said that most people stop liking new music at 33 years old.

When Donny complained about fans only liking cover bands in his particular situation I asked why he expected other people to like new music when he didn't himself.

The rock landscape is very different nowadays, a lot of bands are doing fine but it is hard to make a living especially long term.

But, I don't have to explain to you, you already know this.

Well, a lot of people here would rather keep listening to their Beatles and Zeppelin records and complaining about how there are no good bands today. :rolleyes: Keep keepin' on, bro. While I may not be as into stuff like Ty Segall as you are, I appreciate when you post new music and I never fail to check it out. Pushing one's boundaries is always good, so know that it is appreciated. [thumbup]

Thanks brother, but I think this might get filed under "don't feed the bears" ;)

SLOW DOWN !! THIS IS A NEIGHBORHOOD !!!

I do check out new bands all the time but there are established artist, some long in the tooth, that are still on my bucket list.

I've always loved Don Felder's playing and have just missed catching him a couple of times. When I saw he was opening for Steve Miller on this tour I got my tix right away. It's the first day of my vacation and a great way to kick off the summer.

Really just enjoy seeing bands play live. [thumbup]

Archived