Gibson Brands Forums

2015 SG Special Pickups

farkbinder012

Hello Folks. Does anyone know if the 2015 SG Special has QuickConnect™ Pickups? I'm considering buying from Guitar Center at a steap discount (Which I am suspicious of). Have the issues with the Zero Fret Adjustable Nut been resolved? Thank you for any info.

I'm not sure about the pups and as for the zero fret nut, If there is an issue with it Gibson will send you a replacement nut made by a differant process. I don't think they have started putting replacement nuts on guitars that have already shipped to stores. But if you have an issue with it you will get it replaced for free buy gibson.

Thanks for your response. I am going to replace the '61 Zebras with the Burstbucker Pros on the 2015 SG Special. Was hoping to make the removal and installation as smooth as possible.The brass nut won't be a problem,though. I have been installing a proprietary compensated intonation nut on all of my guitars. Yes, it's height adjustable. No danger of wear from the Gforce. The nut material must be machined using diamond cutting wheels and the like. The bridge saddles are machined from the same material.

Yes, yes it does. The compensated nut works together with the bridge saddles therefor, open strings and fretted notes are as accurate as possible.

How does a compensated nut affect the tonality of a fretted string?

How does a compensated nut affect the tonality of a fretted string?

The tone would not be effected. The pitch will. Here are the basic principles. Each slot of the "compensated" nut is a different length. The string sits on different points across(top of first fret, going towards the headstock) the compensated nut. A typical nut is cut for string gauge size, which includes the depth and is adjusted for intonation at the bridge for most guitars. This design does not allow for the different string lengths required for nearly spot on pitch, fretted or open. Therefore, when the nut is "compensated" at the nut and the bridge, all the strings are closer to true pitch. This includes open and fretted notes. All scale lengths can be accommodated. Assuming the strings are parallel to the frets and not at a steep angle and such. I use Metric System formulas for increased accuracy. Precision cut slots and frets are required to get the most out of it, though. My strobe tuner concurs. This is a very basic explanation.

I have a 2015 SG Special and while I was expecting the nut to be an issue as I have seen others report, so far mine is fine.

My brand new 2015 SG Special, as of yesterday, also has an excellent nut. Hanging on the wall at Guitar Center for 4 months. I changed the strings and proceeded to muck about for 2 hours. All is fine, not so much as a scratch. [thumbup]

I have the '61 Zebra's in my 2015 SG Special - I did lower them a lot - the neck is just a tiny bit below the pickup ring and the bridge is a tiny bit above the pickup ring - both pickups have the treble string side closer by 1 1/2 height screw turns. Now, this guitar is way closer in volume to my other hum bucker guitars and I don't have to adjust the amp volume if I change guitars. I also have to say that I've not felt compelled to change these pickups - I think that they are sounding very good - I have a set of Motor City Black Belts just sitting on a shelf, but I'm still not wanting to go through the change just yet - I'm sure that the Black Belts will be a lower output set than the '61 Zebra's. Maybe that will become a mid-summer little project to see what the difference is. There will be the quick-connect issue to deal with If I decide to do the change. But I have to say that these '61's sound way better than the BB's that came in my '04 R9 - those were pulled in the first week.

I have the '61 Zebra's in my 2015 SG Special - I did lower them a lot - the neck is just a tiny bit below the pickup ring and the bridge is a tiny bit above the pickup ring - both pickups have the treble string side closer by 1 1/2 height screw turns. Now, this guitar is way closer in volume to my other hum bucker guitars and I don't have to adjust the amp volume if I change guitars. I also have to say that I've not felt compelled to change these pickups - I think that they are sounding very good - I have a set of Motor City Black Belts just sitting on a shelf, but I'm still not wanting to go through the change just yet - I'm sure that the Black Belts will be a lower output set than the '61 Zebra's. Maybe that will become a mid-summer little project to see what the difference is. There will be the quick-connect issue to deal with If I decide to do the change. But I have to say that these '61's sound way better than the BB's that came in my '04 R9 - those were pulled in the first week.

I have to agree with you. I have put the 2015 SG Special through it's paces, the Zebras sound excellent. Not sure I want to change them now. i will be installing push pull pots, though.

Archived