Gibson Brands Forums

BluesHawk pickup switch

Jim__H

Question for the BluesHawk guys out there, has anyone ever replaced the pickup switch and if so where did you find one? The schematic calls it out as a 4P3T switch and I can't seem to find one anywhere. The Gibson support guys have been trying to help, they describe it as a 5-way switch but those don't look the same. I would like to source an exact replacement if possible. Here is a photo, a little out of focus and compressed so hopefully will still show the connection lugs.

Thanks,

Jim

post-54814-054564500 1431712902_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Question for the BluesHawk guys out there, has anyone ever replaced the pickup switch and if so where did you find one? The schematic calls it out as a 4P3T switch and I can't seem to find one anywhere. The Gibson support guys have been trying to help, they describe it as a 5-way switch but those don't look the same. I would like to source an exact replacement if possible. Here is a photo, a little out of focus and compressed so hopefully will still show the connection lugs.

Thanks,

Jim

Well no replies on this but I found a solution so in case anyone was wondering here it is. The folks at WDmusic referred me to their pickup guy Kent who was very helpful. He thought this 5-way, 4-pole switch would work:

http://tinyurl.com/nj7lkdn

So I bought one and wired it in a few days ago and it works pefectly. Having the wiring diagram and schematic (available by google search or from Gibson) helped me match a resistor and capacitor that are connected in parallel between two of the contacts but other than that I just wired it in exactly like the old one. Because it is a 5-way switch I did not use all of the contacts, I used the 2,3, and 4 positions and left the two outside ones empty. To eliminate the chance that I might accidently select one of those positions when playing, I took some plastic shim material and made a couple of small, thin pieces that I wedged into the ends of the slot that the switch lever moves back and forth in, limiting the travel and blocking those two positions.

That's it, hope it helps someone in the future,

Jim

Thanks Jim!!

I hope I never need a switch but if I do at least I know that something is available..

Hope Gibson will reissue these sometime soon as they are in demand & were/ARE great guitars..

I've had three & only have one currently..

You are welcome! An Epiphone reissue just came out. Different pups, other than that looks pretty similar but I have not seen one up close yet.

Couldn't tell you the weight difference between poplar & mahogany?? Not sure..

I listened to the video & can tell you the Gibson sounds better or at least ours does & the cat playing is really good too..

I would think being Epiphone now offers the Blueshawk Deluxe getting a switch may have gotten easier to acquire..

I also figured that Gibson would reissue the Blueshawk sometime?? We are waiting!! You guy even read these forums?

They are highly underrated guitars as far as they have so many great tones available & play so fine..

Pic before Grover Tuners, Bone Nut & DiMarzio strap locks, Note G tuner is a chrome Epi..

P7250013.jpg

Archived