Gibson Brands Forums

Rattle/buzz in ES-390 toggle switch

Travis J

Looking for advice. I have a new fully hollow ES-390 with a red flamed maple top. Great guitar except one annoyance - the underside of the pickup toggle switch rattles/buzzes when I strum. It's an acoustic buzz under the top of the guitar, not an electrical problem. The guitar's circuit is fine and noise-free. The problem is most annoying when I'm playing unplugged or at low volumes. The metal prongs or the connecting wire vibrate somehow, though it's hard to figure out exactly what's making the sound. I tried reaching into the f-hole and wrapping the underside of the toggle switch with black electrical tape. I hoped it would stabilize whatever part of the switch that was rattling. But it didn't really work. The buzz still comes and goes. Is there some typical fix for this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Travis

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if its just a bit loose?

Or the wiring is twisted and butted up against the top, rattling there?

The switch is right next to the largest opening of the lower f-hole. You should be able to undo the retaining screw, and tease the whole switch assembly out of the f-hole without needing to cut any wires. Then you can inspect it properly and ensure everything is ok. If needed you can tape the wiring tidily and maybe even tape some foam around it. It should be easy enough to replace the switch back through the hole. Then hand tighten the ring screw while supporting it from underneath with a finger (to stop it rotating). Nip it up with pliers if needed but careful not to slip & damage the finish!

Archived