Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Manufactures

jesusonline

Hi,

I am trying to put together a list of all the Epiphone manufactures so I can have an organized reference all in one place. I already know about the epiphonewiki.com page. It was recently updated. I am looking for reference meterials; as well as any knowledge people just have. I would appreciate sourceing of any "knowledge people just have".

Thanks

jesusonline, I have been at this since 2008. All of the information myself and others have found has been compiled at the Epiphonewiki. There is no available documentation, and furthermore, Epiphone has gone out of their way to obscure manufacturing locations and serial number formats in recent years due to controversy surrounding chinese quality and perception of chinese products in general. In short, Epiphone got sick of people asking which country/factory had better quality and people suggesting that others buy used Korean instruments. The only source for documentation of previous OEM factories is Epiphone and they arent going to share it with you.

My suggestion is due diligence and lots of forum browsing (including other forums) and research. We have brought many OEMs to light in the past years this way and unfortunately, it is the only way.

@Cougar; I amended a huge portion of that wikipedia page several years ago, including the serial info which is now out of date. Wikipedia banned me because they didnt like my username, which was the same as my website name. They claimed that I was using wikipedia to drive traffic to my website, when in reality, I have hundreds of links that drive traffic to wikipedia. msp_glare.gif

Epiphone has gone out of their way to obscure manufacturing locations and serial number formats in recent years due to controversy surrounding chinese quality and perception of chinese products in general.

I guess some have a problem with products made in China, but in my experience, these are typically very high quality instruments, particularly those coming out of the Qingdao and GrandRewards factories. [thumbup]

@Cougar; I amended a huge portion of that wikipedia page several years ago, including the serial info which is now out of date. Wikipedia banned me because they didnt like my username, which was the same as my website name.

Bummer! You had a lot of great info there! #-o

RTH I realize a lot of work has already been done on this. However I am seeing what more I can do. Lots of forum browsing and diligence is indeed my path. I have a few other resources as well.

As far Epiphone not sharing. Businesses will never give out vendor information. It is kinda like asking a drug dealer where he gets his product. If he tells you where he is getting it for a fraction of what he sells to you for, he would be out of a job.

Also I love your epiphonewiki page that is such a wonderful source of reference. No wonder Wikipedia was jealous.

• 2 years later...

jesusonline, I have been at this since 2008. All of the information myself and others have found has been compiled at the Epiphonewiki. There is no available documentation, and furthermore, Epiphone has gone out of their way to obscure manufacturing locations and serial number formats in recent years due to controversy surrounding chinese quality and perception of chinese products in general. In short, Epiphone got sick of people asking which country/factory had better quality and people suggesting that others buy used Korean instruments. The only source for documentation of previous OEM factories is Epiphone and they arent going to share it with you.

My suggestion is due diligence and lots of forum browsing (including other forums) and research. We have brought many OEMs to light in the past years this way and unfortunately, it is the only way.

@Cougar; I amended a huge portion of that wikipedia page several years ago, including the serial info which is now out of date. Wikipedia banned me because they didnt like my username, which was the same as my website name. They claimed that I was using wikipedia to drive traffic to my website, when in reality, I have hundreds of links that drive traffic to wikipedia. msp_glare.gif

RTH: Went to a guitar crafting school in Nashville TN. Go a complete list from a regular customer at a restaurant I managed at. Since you don't like help I will not share. Plus for some reason they want thing confidential, don't know why since hey do a great job sourcing OEMs.

Archived