Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between 2013 SG Standard and '61 RI?

sbpark

Was wondering if anyone could clear this one up for me. I have a 2013 SG Standard, but have also been told the same exact guitars, same spec's, etc. were called '61RI's the year before, and in 2013 they just decided to rename it the SG Standard? Is this true?

Was wondering if anyone could clear this one up for me. I have a 2013 SG Standard, but have also been told the same exact guitars, same spec's, etc. were called '61RI's the year before, and in 2013 they just decided to rename it the SG Standard? Is this true?

I know that the headstocks are a little different in terms of inlay position and I used to think that the standards had a PCB setup. The 61's definitely do not have PCB. Also, in 2012 they were making both but discontinued the 61's by 2013 I believe, they were different models, the Standards are not renamed 61's.

I know that the headstocks are a little different in terms of inlay position and I used to think that the standards had a PCB setup. The 61's definitely do not have PCB. Also, in 2012 they were making both but discontinued the 61's by 2013 I believe, they were different models, the Standards are not renamed 61's.

What do you mean by PCB? As in the wiring? If so, I can assure you that there is no PCB in the control cavity of my 2013 Standard.

From what I've found since posting the original question above is the 2013 Standard has the smaller headstock and a different (and more stable, some say improved) neck joint compared to the historically correct neck joint on the '61 RI, but the Standard still has the same body contours and cuts as the '61 RI. Also, my Standard is a 2-piece body. Not sure if the RI's were 1-piece?

Archived