Gibson Brands Forums

I know which guitar, but this serial number?

As it says in the thread title, I know which guitar it is. It's a brand new 2014 Memphis ES 339 Satin. I am perfectly clear on that, but I am not familiar with this series serial number. It's:

ME 401561

The number is stamped onto the back of the headstock, handwritten on the paper label inside the body of the guitar, as well as handwritten on the accompanying COA.

I presume the ME refers to Memphis, and perhaps the 4 refers to 2014, though I haven't found the ME prefix on any official Gibson serial number decoding sites, and of course the 'Guitar Dater' doesn't recognize it at all. For all I know, ME may not mean Memphis at all.

Any experts out there know how to read this puppy, and can you explain it to me?

Thanks folks.

As it says in the thread title, I know which guitar it is. It's a brand new 2014 Memphis ES 339 Satin. I am perfectly clear on that, but I am not familiar with this series serial number. It's:

ME 401561

The number is stamped onto the back of the headstock, handwritten on the paper label inside the body of the guitar, as well as handwritten on the accompanying COA.

I presume the ME refers to Memphis, and perhaps the 4 refers to 2014, though I haven't found the ME prefix on any official Gibson serial number decoding sites, and of course the 'Guitar Dater' doesn't recognize it at all. For all I know, ME may not mean Memphis at all.

Any experts out there know how to read this puppy, and can you explain it to me?

Thanks folks.

I tried having a look as well but that Gibson page hasn't been updated in years. I know I've seen some Gibson guitars with a "CS" prefix, for Custom Shop. So this prefix might be a new version for the newer models; may not be abnormal.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Archived