Gibson Brands Forums

Saw Eric Clapton at the Albert Hall

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

Just got back. I think that's the 2nd best EC concert I've been to. Cream at the Albert Hall being number 1.

Tonight was brilliant though. He did a fantastic version of tears in heaven and Cocaine was fantastic.

Really enjoyed that.

Guest Farnsbarns

Nice pic!

Thanks. I'm no photographer but decided a quick snap was in order when they projected EC onto the organ at the RAH.

Guest Farnsbarns

Awesome Farns, really fantastic-you dog!

How many holes did it take to fill the Albert Hall?

I'm sure I'm being an idiot but I don't get it?

I'm sure I'm being an idiot but I don't get it?

Last verse of "A Day In The Life" - Beatles

I read the news today oh boy

Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire

And though the holes were rather small

They had to count them all

Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall

[smile]

Guest Farnsbarns

Last verse of "A Day In The Life" - Beatles

I read the news today oh boy

Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire

And though the holes were rather small

They had to count them all

Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall

[smile]

Ahh, ok then. Now I get it.

Guest Farnsbarns

Too late. Please turn in your Brit Card and tea cup on your way out.

rct

Thing is, and I say this with an open mind to the preferences of others, including my good friend Tman, and each to their own and blah blah blah but I don't think I know a single Brittish Beatles fan. In fact, in my circles they're fairly unilaterally disliked and considered the first manufactured boy band/pop group.

I know. I know, I'm likely to get another sort of banned for that but that's just how most of the people I know think of them.

Thing is, and I say this with an open mind to the preferences of others, including my good friend Tman, and each to their own and blah blah blah but I don't think I know a single Brittish Beatles fan. In fact, in my circles they're fairly unilaterally disliked and considered the first manufactured boy band/pop group.

I know. I know, I'm likely to get another sort of banned for that but that's just how most of the people I know think of them.

We'd get on fine then. To me, first is usually all that matters. Pretty much the one thing them guys had that mattered was "first". If it wasn't them, it would have been the next four or three or whomever came along at the next just right moment.

rct

I certainly am a Beatles fan... not like an ohh they are the greatest thing that ever happened kinda way.. But what I like of theirs I REALLY like...

As for Clapton, I saw him with Jeff Beck a while back.. And im pretty sure that anyone who follows Jeff Beck on stage will have a hard time topping that performance.. as a consequence I found Clapton a bit boring to be honest but Beck, man hes something else. The odd thing is I don't like listening to his albums much cos im not such a fan of instrumental music but I find watching his playing totally mesmerising.

That explains why you didn't want to jam on Get Back or Drive my Car. :rolleyes:

Farns did Eric play some of his more mellow acoustic stuff? I personally think Change the World is brilliant and some of his best. I would have loved to have heard it.

btw I am still jetlagged.

Marvellous to hear you had such a good experience, Farns.

Many folks recently have noted that EC was often below expectations so I'm glad he still Has-It-When-Needed.

I'm not a huge concert-goer but I've probably seen more EC gigs - at least six - than any other performer (John Martyn might beat him by one) but I've not seen him since at least '87 [scared] and I wonder if I'd recognise him as being the same person? I think we've both of us changed a lot in the interim!

Really glad for you (both) though!

P.

I'm not a huge concert-goer but I've probably seen more EC gigs - at least six - than any other performer (John Martyn might beat him by one)

HA!

Spectrum in Philadelphia, April of 1975, not long after his 30th, and John Martyn opened. A great night and I was just awed at Mr. Martyn!

Last I saw him was Money and Cigarettes I think. Early 80's I guess.

rct

Archived