Gibson Brands Forums

ES 339

Izzy

Milod once suggested I try a semi-hollow and I was like "that bulky thing...no way."

Yesterday I played a Gibson ES339 and I fell inlove. Problem is, used...it is $1,700 and I'm like,

"My LP sounds as good and it was not that expensive!" I have tried lots of guitars...I've gotten stronger and can now play big boy guitars (after a couple of years of playing Mustangs)...the ES 339 sounds good AND it is comfortable.

Is there something that compares to the awesome 339 but isn't as expensive? The studio ES 339 is just...sounds less...

WHY did I get into this hobby. It never ends, chasing the sound...never ends....quest is everlong [tongue]

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which 339 Studio did you try?

Theres two version now.. One with one pickup and the latest one with two...

Also I guess you could go down the Epiphone route.. Theres a fair few nice ones to choose from.

Milod once suggested I try a semi-hollow and I was like "that bulky thing...no way."

Yesterday I played a Gibson ES339 and I fell inlove. Problem is, used...it is $1,700 and I'm like,

"My LP sounds as good and it was not that expensive!" I have tried lots of guitars...I've gotten stronger and can now play big boy guitars (after a couple of years of playing Mustangs)...the ES 339 sounds good AND it is comfortable.

Is there something that compares to the awesome 339 but isn't as expensive? The studio ES 339 is just...sounds less...

WHY did I get into this hobby. It never ends, chasing the sound...never ends....quest is everlong [tongue]

I would suggest making a 339 a long term goal and saving up for one. They really are worth the price. I bought one in mint condition from a forum member a few months back with the money I got from selling a Les Paul. Worth every penny! I just don't know if that GAS would have been cured permanently with the Epiphone version after I'd played the real deal.

IMG_1307_zpsfi97pq1y.jpg

A used GIBSON MIDTOWN can be found for around $700 - $900 weighs less and a lot thinner , but they don't make them any more.good luck finding one

4H

Midtowns are running about $1300 used on GC but that is way better than $1700...and if they are similar in sound size and weight I am sold.

They definitely sound awesome. Thanks for the tip.

The Studio 339 I tried had two humbuckers but it did not sound right. My LP blew it right out the water.

Anyone know anything about the Carvin SH550...not that I will find one...

Epiphone is not a brand I am familiar with. I know they are not Squires but I just want to make sure I get a quality instrument that doesn't need all kinds of upgrades because I don't have the time or patience for that.

Why did I have to try semi-hollow goodness?

I was so happy with my SG! [cursing]

Yeah.. Its all im missing.. A semi...

I have always wanted a 336 which is the same size as a 339 but built by hollowing out a solid body rather than from laminates...

One day :)

I got the Epiphone version of the ES-339 awhile back (the P-90 version) from Musicians Friend for $329 and like it just fine! [thumbup]

Thing is I have enough semi-hollow Gibsons now so I did not want to drop that much money out for another Gibson semi that would not get enough play time to justify the expense so for me - this was an equitable solution. I have zero complaints with the Epi version so that's my .02 cents worth on the subject. Here's a picture of the one I bought:

epiphone-eclub-2014-es-339-p90-pro-vintage-sunburst.jpg

Yeah.. Its all im missing.. A semi...

I have always wanted a 336 which is the same size as a 339 but built by hollowing out a solid body rather than from laminates...

One day :)

If you mean the CS-336 then that's another reason I don't need a Gibson ES-339 as I already have that one. Besides Rabs - I have a feeling your skills will allow you to make your own version someday soon! Long live RABSWOOD GUITARS!!!!! [thumbup]

If you mean the CS-336 then that's another reason I don't need a Gibson ES-339 as I already have that one. Besides Rabs - I have a feeling your skills will allow you to make your own version someday soon! Long live RABSWOOD GUITARS!!!!! [thumbup]

Lol.. yes a CS 336.. ive played two of them and loved them both instantly...

And yes I want to make a semi hollow one of these days for sure [thumbup]

Ok Izzy, here's a little song for you sung to the tune of "Stuck in the middle with you..."

doo..doo..doo..Gibson Midtown on the left, Gibson ES339 Pro on the right, here I am... stuck in the middle with you...

Orange1_zpsfa956b11.jpg

The Midtown is mine and the ES belongs to one of my sons.

If you liked the ES339, a less expensive alternative without going the studio route would be to find a used ES339 Pro which they made in 2013 and 2014 along with the Les Paul Traditional Pro II in a special run for MF and GC. I liked my son's 339 Pro so much I picked up the Les Paul version, since I already have the Midtown. Anyway, the 339 Pro is semi-hollow without the F-holes, so less feedback with all the benefits (tone and light weight) of a semi-hollow. These have a gloss top but the back and sides are satim which reduced cost. Has full coil splitting on both pups, and a 10 Db boost circuit, all via very cool push-push pots (instead of push-pull). You can find these used in the 1200-1300 range on a good day. 60's neck too. Some good reviews on YT.

Good luck chasing that tome! [thumbup]

Where's Murph when you need him??? He convinced me to get a 339.

I went to the HOG and saw a beautiful Figured Top one. When I played it I was hooked (Murphy was right!). One of the co-owners told me to come back the following weekend when the Gibson rep was going to be there. He squeezed an extra $100 out of him in addition to my usual discount. I ended up getting it for almost 25% less than the lowest price you'd find on any website. It's one of my favorites.

My advice is to save up and wait. You'll never regret it. The 339 can be used for any style you want to play. Just sayin'!

Here's mine.

es339fc.jpg

es339b.jpg

I went to the HOG and saw a beautiful Figured Top one. When I played it I was hooked (Murphy was right!). One of the co-owners told me to come back the following weekend when the Gibson rep was going to be there. He squeezed an extra $100 out of him in addition to my usual discount. I ended up getting it for almost 25% less than the lowest price you'd find on any website. It's one of my favorites.

My advice is to save up and wait. You'll never regret it. The 339 can be used for any style you want to play. Just sayin'!

Here's mine.

es339fc.jpg

es339b.jpg

Man that's sharp , true guitar candy [thumbup]

4H

Ok Izzy, here's a little song for you sung to the tune of "Stuck in the middle with you..."

doo..doo..doo..Gibson Midtown on the left, Gibson ES339 Pro on the right, here I am... stuck in the middle with you...

Orange1_zpsfa956b11.jpg

The Midtown is mine and the ES belongs to one of my sons.

If you liked the ES339, a less expensive alternative without going the studio route would be to find a used ES339 Pro which they made in 2013 and 2014 along with the Les Paul Traditional Pro II in a special run for MF and GC. I liked my son's 339 Pro so much I picked up the Les Paul version, since I already have the Midtown. Anyway, the 339 Pro is semi-hollow without the F-holes, so less feedback with all the benefits (tone and light weight) of a semi-hollow. These have a gloss top but the back and sides are satim which reduced cost. Has full coil splitting on both pups, and a 10 Db boost circuit, all via very cool push-push pots (instead of push-pull). You can find these used in the 1200-1300 range on a good day. 60's neck too. Some good reviews on YT.

msp_cursing.gifDude, why?

Yesterday while watching the B.B. King documentary The Life Of Riley,

the little red fellow on my left shoulder whispered every now and then: Order the Midtown and forget about the other's!

Man I'm trying to save for another Lester, but the Midtown I could order right now!

And now this pic.

Every time I look at my Micro Terror on my PPC112 from now on I will see that there's an empty space where a Ebony Midtown belongs in.

Darn it.

I agree with Rocketman and StRanger.

Save up and get one. I swear my 2007 first edition was $1799 new. What are they now?

When Wall Street crashes (again) and the dollar crumbles your ES339 will only go up in value. If it doesn't, the Gibson will STILL go up in value.

Oh yea, mine's a "Custom Shop"......

Says so right on the neck.

Just sayin'....................

If you can handle the larger body size, there's also the earlier ES-335 Satin to consider. They're a great bang for the buck guitar and my 2005 wasn't all that expensive.

If not, do yourself a favor and save up and get exactly what you want. Buyer's remorse isn't all that much fun so treat yourself to what will make you happy.

[

If you liked the ES339, a less expensive alternative without going the studio route would be to find a used ES339 Pro

Lol, that Midtown sure looks gorgeous! I so do not need split coiling, though...so the Epi 339 Pro would be a waste. Complex electronics is what made me give up my Parker Nightfly.

I would love to get me paws on a Midtown to check the sound...but there were 4 on GC's site which tells me they are not common. Heck, on CL for my city there were no 339s or anything like it aside from cheapies and a Fender Coronado which looks big.

Fender doesn't have a small hollow body like the 339, huh? Weird.

.. aside from cheapies and a Fender Coronado which looks big.

You're right about the Coronado - they are big. I have one of the reissues and their body shape & size make them almost uncomfortable to play. And I'm 6'2" with ape arms (lol) and I don't think you would like that one at all. Besides it's nothing like the ES 339 you're interested in. Stop gassing for a Coronado now. There ya go - one you don't need to think about anymore [biggrin]

Good luck in your search Izzy! [cool]

This -

I got the Epiphone version of the ES-339 awhile back (the P-90 version) from Musicians Friend for $329 and like it just fine! [thumbup]

epiphone-eclub-2014-es-339-p90-pro-vintage-sunburst.jpg

A very fine instrument.

Or the Ibanez Artstar range; excellent value, good guitars at a good price.

Do not bother with a Fender Coronado (or anything with a bolt-on neck).

Regards!

Fender has the Thinline Telecaster which is a very light semi. I have the Chinese made Modern Player version which is quite good and at under $500.00, a very good deal.

I also have a Midtown Standard, and I only just took delivery of a new 2014 ES 339 Satin last week. The 339 stomps the tar out of the Midtown.

The Midtown as I recall is not a true semi, but a heavily chambered solid body with F-holes carved into it. The 339 IS a true semi And just rings and sings circles around the Midtown.

The Midtown only has one volume and treble control which greatly limits the number of tonal possibilities available. The 339 has individual volume and tone controls for each pickup which allows for a near limitless number of tones.

The Midtown is a very nice guitar, the 339 is an amazing guitar.

Archived