Gibson Brands Forums

New LP :)

tris_drinkwater

Hi all,

I've just purchased my first new LP - 2014 Studio and I'm over the moon with it.

I do have a question regarding the neck however..

I'm used to using lemon oil on my ebony neck but this has mahogany and I've not found any information on how to keep it at it's best.

Any ideaS?

thanks,

Hi all,

I've just purchased my first new LP - 2014 Studio and I'm over the moon with it.

I'm used to using lemon oil on my ebony neck but this has mahogany and I've not found any information on how to keep it at it's best.

Any ideaS?

thanks,

First of all; welcome to the forums, tris! And happy new guitar day!

With regards to the neck care; the mahogany neck isn't bare, so won't need any additional care. 2014 Studios have a satin finish, so a clean every now and then will do fine. The fretboard, made of rosewood, will require an occasion oiling to keep it from drying out too much.

Any other questions, give us a shout! There are plenty of helpful people about, happy to assist.

And to introduce you to the most official unofficial rule of these here forums; pictures (of the guitar) or it didn't happen!

Guest Farnsbarns

Real (food grade) lemon oil can damage the glue holding the markers in. Fake lemon oil (not food grade) is mineral oil with lemon scent. I don't use it because it contains particles of solids which I don't like the idea of personaly.

I recomend fret dr.

Hi, congratulation to your new LP.

About your question, I think 14 Studios have rosewood fingerboards on a mahagony neck, I have the same fingerboard on mine and it should be no problem to apply lemon oil.

Greetz

Ah yes; I should have been more specific.

2014 Studio guitars have a Maple neck, while the Studio Pro model has the Mahogany neck.

Either way; both have a topcoat, so neither would need additional care. Both also feature rosewood, so +1 to Mr.Jones.

Pesh... not sure where you're getting your info from .. Gibson does not put any coating on their rosewood or ebony fret boards.

you need to use a product to condition your fret board; lemon oil (as it's called) or more modern renditions; Gibson Fret Board Conditioner or Professor Greens

http://www.professor....com/store.html

as for the body and the neck of a Gibson Les Paul.. they maybe made out of Mahogany (many with maple cap's glued to the body) but they are covered in a Nitro finish over the paint and do not need the conditioning.

for the most part a lint free micro cloth should do for the body and back of the neck of the guitar; for polishing you'll need a guitar polish of your choice (many choices, many arguments from fellow guitarists)

Congrats on the new Les Paul. Would love to see it!

I use Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes. They come in individual packets like the wet wipes you use to clean your hands. When you have the strings off for whatever reason you can just use one of these wipes to clean and condition the fretboard. Easy!

37 years of playing, i have never added oil to a neck of a guitar, it gets enough oil from your skin. i could see maybe 1 time every few years using Lemon JUICE, in a very small amount, like on a q-tip, to cut through the dead skin build up, on the sides of the fret bars to clean it. but it is your guitar, but i would not put oil on anything. the wood is dead and kiln dried, to take the water and oils out of the wood, so it is stable. but that is just my view.

Hi all,

Any ideaS?

thanks,

It's good to have another old guy telling them that, Old Guy.

rct

I agree on the neck brother rct , we are close in age . But the fret board I've always used fret Dr to keep it from drying out . Mother told you not to argue with me [smile]

4H

Hi all,

thanks for the warm welcome and all the great tips above. I posted rather quickly yesterday as I was in between tasks at my desk. Most of you understood that I was talking about the fret-board and not the rear of the neck itself.

As for the "pictures or it didn't happen" comment, that's an internet oldie but a goody.. and I am happy to provide :)

IMAG0412.jpg

I'll have a look at the few of the links later today and get something as suggested.

That looks nice!

Is that a Fender cable?

Sorry but im on my phone and can't see it.

Look's like mine bought it in a hurry one day because my Planet Waves cable stoped working. So I went into the nearest musicstore and they only had Fender cables. Bought one thinking: this will do for the moment. And now Im surprised, that one is still working, and no noise in my signal. Not bad for that price.

thanks chaps.

yep, fender cable.. again all they had in my local store. it has the added benefit as acting like a kick stand :)

on the bridge pickup with tone to max and the amp with the 'dirt' turned up it sounds simply fantastic.

love my les paul.... (Mrs is starting to think more than her... she could be right!!!)

Congratulations!!! [thumbup][thumbup]

Your new LP looks awesome, enjoy it!!!

When you condition your fret board, just make sure you use only a small amount of oil. Do not saturate the fret board, a little oil goes a very long way.

HNGD!!! [smile]

Most of you understood that I was talking about the fret-board and not the rear of the neck itself.

I understood that. You should understand that I've been playing since 1971 and I've never oiled any fingerboard on any guitar. It wasn't until the mid-late 90's that people started talking about oiling fingerboards followed by the plethora of products to do it with. Suit yourself as always, but there is on need for it.

rct

Archived