Gibson Brands Forums

Cost to have Gibson replace a J45 Neck completely??

Guitar Fundi

I once contacted the Martin repair in Nazareth, PA, about replacing a neck on an old Martin, this was many years ago…..they quoted me $1100….probably similar to Gibson. Sometimes I see old Gibsons on Ebay being sold for parts due to damage….might check that out…use verify right scale length!

I once contacted the Martin repair in Nazareth, PA, about replacing a neck on an old Martin, this was many years ago…..they quoted me $1100….probably similar to Gibson. Sometimes I see old Gibsons on Ebay being sold for parts due to damage….might check that out…use verify right scale length!

There was a Gibson neck (and some other bits)on Fleabay recently, but it was only the neck--no fretboard, or anything else, over-bored for Grovers, and maybe not the original finish. I think they wanted something like $600, which was only the price of admission on that one. I believe they said it was off a 1950's LG-something, so it would probably be the same as a J-45 neck from the same period.

I will tell this story. It is not particularly relevant for this case, but it is true.

I have a 1944 D-28 -- about 2001 it needed a neck set and fret job. It was not its original neck, and I did not like the "new" neck. We used Jay Rhyne, the legendary Atlante luthier to do all our work in those day. Jay's price for a neck set and fret job was $325. So I ask him how much for new neck -- a copy of the original D-28 neck. He said "$350'" -- when Jay wanted to do something, he encouraged his customers with his pricing.

Best,

-Tom

When I went to the Gibson Homecoming in 2007 there was another forumite who had brought (among other guitars) a 1952 D-18 with a brand new neck. He said the old neck was pretty ragged out and he didn't like the feel of it anyway, so he had the neck replaced with a new one. Sacrilegious, one might say, but man, what a great feeling guitar!

The method to my madness.......... I have found that a thick neck is what I need. I have only found to date one guitar with the right thick neck and it was a 1 of 25 Southern Jumbo. I didn't care for the sound or the look, but loved the neck. I am sick of looking for the guitar that feels right and sounds right and figure I will find the one that sounds right and just have Gibson replace the neck with the one that fits me.

The method to my madness.......... I have found that a thick neck is what I need. I have only found to date one guitar with the right thick neck and it was a 1 of 25 Southern Jumbo. I didn't care for the sound or the look, but loved the neck. I am sick of looking for the guitar that feels right and sounds right and figure I will find the one that sounds right and just have Gibson replace the neck with the one that fits me.

You need to remember that changing the neck to one of a different mass may also change the tonal character of the guitar, so there may be no free lunch here. You are much better off simply trying to find the right combination of tone and playing comfort in an existing complete guitar, without going after radical, expensive surgery with an uncertain outcome.

Archived