Gibson Brands Forums

1946 ES-300

intenseblue

Hey guys. New owner of a 1946 ES-300. Its been in the family since 1950 and now its my turn to own it. During the 60's my grandfather dropped it at a gig and broke the cable jack. A shop placed the jack in the face of the guitar as a quick repair to he could keep on gigging. Gibson did repair the wood and put a new finish on it in the 60's. Can the face be repaired and the jack be moved to its original home and off the front? Not sure if this is possible or not. Also, it originally came with the tortoise pick guard. I cannot seem to find a new one for the ES-300. All the usual places seem to have them for other ES-models, but not the 300.

Thanks guys.

Shane

Here are some pics of my baby.

front.jpg

head.jpg

jack.jpg

It would be my opinion to leave the jack where it is. A "plug" repair (pun intended) on the top would be virtually impossible to hide without a major refinish.

As for the pickguard, a google image search shows me the original was most likely a single bound tortoise as also found on the L-7 (and possibly other models). Short of having one custom made, you will not find this part "off the shelf".

For L-5/L-7 replacement guards, I have used these multi-bound "L-5" guards as marketed by "AllParts", and found them to be of equal, or greater quality than the Gibson originals:

https://www.allparts.com/PG-9817-043-Bound-Tortoise-L-5-Pickguard_p_2784.html

In any and all cases, the pickup notch will have to be custom fitted to the individual guitar.

Archived