Gibson Brands Forums

Lucille Varitone mods

creekster52

I like my Epi Lucille very much, but have been a little disappointed with the Varitone. There just doesn't seem to be enough tone variation in the settings. I generally keep it on bypass, which defeats the purpose of having a Varitone. I'm sure someone has eliminated the circuit board setup and replaced it with a more traditional Varitone setup. I searched the threads, but didn't find any posts. Did I miss something?

I put a varitone in my Zephyr Blues Deluxe. I got it from a guy on eBay that does a pretty nice job on his. With the stock 3 volume/1 tone set up on the ZBD, it was a step up. Gets everything I need. Also, easily reversable. Here's the guy. I'll post pictures (I had the gold trim plate made) shortly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Varitone-Switch-Guitar-Mod-for-Les-Paul-PRS-Tele-Strat-Project-Parts-Luthier-/301625495132?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463a47ce5c&nma=true&si=no%252F9gsDqFspcGIBjXzluNUiwC2k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_2575wt_1358

I put a varitone in my Zephyr Blues Deluxe. I got it from a guy on eBay that does a pretty nice job on his. With the stock 3 volume/1 tone set up on the ZBD, it was a step up. Gets everything I need. Also, easily reversable. Here's the guy. I'll post pictures (I had the gold trim plate made) shortly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Varitone-Switch-Guitar-Mod-for-Les-Paul-PRS-Tele-Strat-Project-Parts-Luthier-/301625495132?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463a47ce5c&nma=true&si=no%252F9gsDqFspcGIBjXzluNUiwC2k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_2575wt_1358

Thanks Tweed! That's what I was looking for, and it looks like the tonal difference is what I want.

BTW...Looks like Big D may not be focusing on Ebay anymore, but here is the link to his website in case others want the info.

http://www.bigdguitars.com/products/big-d-varitone-switch

I couldn't find any of his vari-tones on eBay, until I checked for recent, completed auctions. He just had one go off, this morning. He's still doing it. As I said, great little assembly. Here's a picture of mine.

IMG_07291_zps2c7e071d.jpg

Joe, over at amplates.com, made it for me. I had 20 of them made, along with a couple of dozen gold foil pick guard Es (by someone else) to get the cost down. Then I sold the extras on eBay, so that I actually made a few dollars for my trouble.. Talk to Joe, since the design work is done already, he should be able to knock some out pretty inexpensively. And before you ask, I'm all sold out on the plates and Es.

I couldn't find any of his vari-tones on eBay, until I checked for recent, completed auctions. He just had one go off, this morning. He's still doing it. As I said, great little assembly. Here's a picture of mine.

IMG_07291_zps2c7e071d.jpg

Tweed2-- That is the best looking Epiphone ever!

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys

Interesting. What about the 1.5 Henry Choke/Inductor that is part of the stock Varitone set up. I'm having a tough time finding one and am wondering if I need it.

Cheers

A.T.

Archived