Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning Problem

carranoj25

Help! My G string and now B string won't really stay in tune. After one big bend I can literally hear it go out of tune. I want to bring it to my tech but I'm not sure how to fix it so i don't know what I'd tell him to do. Could it be just needs new strings and a set up? New intonation? Or something else?

If the strings are new strech them, they will go out of tune. Then tune them to pitch and strech em again until they stop going out of tune. If the strings aren't new, maybe the nut slots are the problem, it's a common problem especialy with the G string.

I sugest you try first to lubricate your nut slots, graphite from a pencil works best for me. Had the same problem and im my case that was the solution.

Greets

The nut slots are where the strings rests as they go over the nut. the slots are just the groves the strings sit in.

After one big bend I can literally hear it go out of tune

and there is your problem. you strings are not gliding smoothly in the slots. they're hanging up some where and that's usually where this will happen.

you can lube those slots and that should help. you could use something as common as Vaseline to see if that helps.

or get some thing that's made for this (like Big Bends Nut Sauce) or even graphite from a pencil.

Just so I have this right. You mean the slots where the strings sit right before the First fret? Just put a tiny amount of Vaseline in those two string slots and see if it helps?

yep, you got it.

Yup, exactly those tiny filings in your nut.

This is what I do:

- Loosen the string until I can pull it out of his slot.

- Then rub the pencil over the nut slot, graphite dust falls into the slot.

- Put string back, tune to pitch

- E voila, your nut is lubricated!

What I do now, is doing it every string change. No more tuning problems.

If you notice after lubricating your nut, that there is a pinging sound when you tune your guitar, probably you have a bad cut nut slot.

Your tech/luthier will fix it for you.

if you use led pencil,, it will leave black residue.. if you have a white or off white nut,, this might p*ss you off.

this is why I suggest Vaseline.

or,,,,, some Big Bends Nut Sauce! GOOD STUFF!

if you use led pencil,, it will leave black residue.. if you have a white or off white nut,, this might p*ss you off.

this is why I suggest Vaseline.

or,,,,, some Big Bends Nut Sauce! GOOD STUFF!

Good point!msp_thumbup.gif

Yeah that could be a problem, I mean it's difficult to keep the dust of the areas where you don't want it.

Well anyway the important thing is to lubricate the nut.

And don't do it with graphite on white nuts, unless you wan't a grey one.

I am definitely going to try this. If this doesn't work what would be the next step?

If lubing the slots does not work, talk to your tech. 95% of every tuning problem I have seen with an SG is the nut; especially if the string goes sharp when it goes out of tune. That indicates that the string is getting stuck in the slot. The fix may be as simple as a light pass with a file through the slot. Or the G string's slot may have been cut at a poor angle and that is why it is sticking.

Also, my lube of choice is Big Bends nut sauce. Works great if you are a Bigsby abuser like me.

Archived