Gibson Brands Forums

Problem common in Tune o Matic Bridge of Gibson Historics?

Junae9

Good morning everyone,

After buying a Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1960 Reissue (2014), I realized that the guitar does not remain tuned. After realizing that his bridge was leaning forward, I took in a specialized luthier, who dismantled the bridge and reported that the bolt was installed crooked. Dave's Guitar responded by saying that it is normal, which does I not agree, so I would ask if anyone has had this problem with some GIbson Historic.

It is unacceptable a new an expensive guitar to be sold with a defect like this.

Thank you for your attention.

post-58498-084081700 1432066053_thumb.jpg

post-58498-023342900 1432066065_thumb.jpg

The bridge on my 2009 LP Custom has the same shafts for the bridge and leans back a small amount...which I always understood to be normal. So I don't think they should lean forward.

I found that mine could be screwed further into the body and that's what I did.

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

ABR-1 bridges will lean forward, if the tailpiece is bottomed. Because the string tension becomes way too big for the post screws being able to handle it any further.

Typical problem. Raise the tailpiece until the break angle of the strings at the bridge is same as after the nut.

Cheers... Bence

Yes, lowering the stop bar all the way down puts far too much side force on the tiny posts. This is why Gibson does not lower the stop bar that far from the factory and why Gibson stopped using the tiny, cheap, weak TOM posts in the first place.

I have just been informed that the Daves Guitar Shop will not return my money.

The seller told me that I have only 48 hours to return the guitar.

How would I know if it is a hidden defect?

Is this correct?

Can anyone help me?

Archived