Gibson Brands Forums

NGD From the "Other Guys"

NHTom

Picked up a used Fender American Special today.

What a great playing guitar!

Someone upgraded the pickups with noiseless in the mid/bridge and a lindy fralin split rail neck........will probably change these out to something more traditional.

amspstrat1_zps36d0eezr.jpg

One TINY mark on the back of the upper horn, and other than that just a little play wear. Very happy with the price. Just love the way the neck feels on this one.

NHTom

really....??? on a Gibson Forum???

Have fun with your "toy"...Jeesh!

lol....I knew I'd get a hard time............but they pick me. I don't pick them.......lol

NHTom

Picked up a used Fender American Special today.

What a great playing guitar!

Someone upgraded the pickups with noiseless in the mid/bridge and a lindy fralin split rail neck........will probably change these out to something more traditional.

amspstrat1_zps36d0eezr.jpg

One TINY mark on the back of the upper horn, and other than that just a little play wear. Very happy with the price. Just love the way the neck feels on this one.

NHTom

Sharp guitar

4H

• 1 month later...

and the "AFTER" picture.....

th_amspcwcream_zpsoqeea0wk.jpg

back to more original/vintage look. Really love this thing......I know in many of the reviews, they say to just step up to the American Standard, but I love this Am Special. Used to the vintage bridge from the old days so that is no big deal. I actually kind of like the headstock, neck is great, etc.

NHTom

Ok.......that's better...

Yes. I agree.

MUCH better. Beautiful!

Many congrats and a HNGD, NHTom!

[thumbup]

Forgive my ignorance but what is the thinking behind the split-rail design?..........:-k

P.

I honestly don't know on the split rail.

It's a Lindy Fralin........it was in the guitar when I got it.

Has good tone/likes to be set close to the strings.

Hum cancelling.

NHTom

Nice score! I personally love noiseless pickups, but would have to test the lindy pickup to see if it was my taste. I love the 70s type headstock on yours and my gf loves red guitars so if i came home with that she would say keep her lol. Oddly, she is from new hampshire herself and i sometimes trade on your craigslist up there. The rhode island one can get a little stale sometimes..

Nice score! I personally love noiseless pickups, but would have to test the lindy pickup to see if it was my taste. I love the 70s type headstock on yours and my gf loves red guitars so if i came home with that she would say keep her lol. Oddly, she is from new hampshire herself and i sometimes trade on your craigslist up there. The rhode island one can get a little stale sometimes..

That's funny.........I lived in Coventry/West Warwick RI for years.......worked at Hyde Music there.

NHTom

• 4 weeks later...

Ok Ok OK..........NOW it's really done...........

Had to offset the pearl pickguard and trem cover with some pearl tuner buttons........saw them on a Burton tele and thoughts "Yeah....the special needs those"

amspecialpearltuners_zpsf0byhaku.jpg

now it's done.........well.......maybe

NHTom

Archived