Gibson Brands Forums

Advice: Clean Acoustic Sound from an Archtop?

hollowdan

I typically fill the role of acoustic guitar of late. Knowing it's a stretch, and that it won't sound like my Taylor Acoustic/Electric, can I mix my new Sheraton II fairly clean? I'd like to bring out the warm, woody tone and almost fool the praise band leader. I am showing up with my Epiphone Sunday, either way, so I need advice on creating this mix. The amplifier will be a Fender Princeton 112 Plus (USA 65 Watts, solid state). Thanks for your help!

I typically fill the role of acoustic guitar of late. Knowing it's a stretch, and that it won't sound like my Taylor Acoustic/Electric, can I mix my new Sheraton II fairly clean? I'd like to bring out the warm, woody tone and almost fool the praise band leader. I am showing up with my Epiphone Sunday, either way, so I need advice on creating this mix. The amplifier will be a Fender Princeton 112 Plus (USA 65 Watts, solid state). Thanks for your help!

Maybe use round wounds? I used to own a Campellone Special and when strung with the rounds would sound like my Taylor Jumbo 415. Worth a try.

Maybe use round wounds? I used to own a Campellone Special and when strung with the rounds would sound like my Taylor Jumbo 415. Worth a try.

Sleeko-- I hadn't thought of that. Well, I am hoping it can be versatile so that I can play one guitar, rather than bringing the acoustic and electric. Round wounds may be a solution. Thanks!

Sleeko-- I hadn't thought of that. Well, I am hoping it can be versatile so that I can play one guitar, rather than bringing the acoustic and electric. Round wounds may be a solution. Thanks!

Yes indeed. Nobody was more surprised than I. [thumbup]

First of all, technically speaking, a Sheraton II is NOT an "archtop", it's a "thinline".

That said, the tone of ANY electric guitar is all in the amp. You'll never get an acceptable "acoustic" tone out of a R&R amp, especially a Fender (even if solid state).

First thing to try is plugging it directly into the PA. As this is generally a terrible sound for R&R and Blues, it might just work for your "praise" band acoustic tones. Other than that you'll need to find the right amp for the sound you're looking for. Forget all the little tube amps and look for a small SS "modelling" amp or "acoustic" amp. Many of these can be had for $200 or less.

Listen to Larry Dan.

What you're going to have to settle with is a compromise if you're going to use the princeton with your Sherri verses having your acoustic with you. It's not going to sound like an acoustic, but you'll be able to get the job done if it's just strumming chords, and "filling" in with the rythm. Depending on how "picky" your band leader is, you could be ok.

If the acoustics are prominent part of the music arrangements, (finger picking or similar) then the only way to do this is to bring an acoustic. yea.. It means taking two guitars and learning how to change quickly.

you can get a simulator, but IME, these don't hold up well in the mix in all situations.

flatwound strings, not the way I'd go. they are pretty dull tone wise IMHO.

Very interesting and I appreciate all the input. I think I am a bit too excited to have my new guitar and was hoping to play it as electric and acoustic, for some situations. Yeah, my Fishman Loudbox mini works great with my Taylor, Ovation and mandolin. I guess I was thinking clean sound, that would bring out some of the woodiness of the Sherry, but not to sound like a J200 or anything so exacting. I really appreciate the ideas. I was under the impression you could do this. Epiphone referred to my Riviera P93 an archtop-- obviously that was erroneous. I have been known to be wrong on several occasions in my 60 years! LOL :)

Y'know Hollowdan, A jumbo archtop, like maybe an Epiphone Broadway, a Regent, or maybe an ES175 may be played as an acoustic, but once amplified it will only sound like an electric. You can use a microphone unplugged, but once it's plugged in, it's an electric.

The Riviera is an archtop, but it's not a jumbo so unplugged there is very little output. There are several thin archtops out there that have almost no real tone or volume when played unplugged, but they do still count as archtops.

A jumbo archtop will certainly make a sound, but it still won't have the clarity, high and low end response as a decent flat top with a soundhole.

It's a lot easier to make a flat top with a soundhole pickup sound electric, than it is making an electric sound like an acoustic.

Hi Fromnabulax, Thanks very much for your honest opinion and I agree. I should know better than to pose such a question, as I normally play a semi-hollow strictly as an electric, whether in a blues context or while in the church band. When I want acoustic, I play one of my several US guitars-- I am embarrassed to admit that I have a number of them after asking such a question. I certainly have plenty of options, though only two are acoustic electric-- the Taylor 414 and Ovation Standard Balladeer 1999 (US made). My Martins D28 and D15, Guild D55, National M-2 and Takamine D28-12 lawsuit 12 string are my other options to mic. I am just so excited about my new Sheraton that I wanted to be able to get a pass from my band leader and just play some good clean, if not a bit woody chords for the rhythm he needs Sunday. The reason I bought a semi-hollow is because I already have a Strat and wanted the warmth and rounder tone that comes from these Epiphones. I loved my Riviera but sold it. I used to use it a bit like an acoustic, just enough to get by by turning on the reverb and a bit of delay to give it a sustain something like an acoustic. I wanted to dwell on my new instrument and posting this question gave me a reason to ask my fellow Epiphone players their opinion. Anyway, I am learning what others think and some things about my misconception of this Sheraton. I think the Riviera's single coils might have made it easier to do what I am talking about? Well, thanks again. I appreciate your time! B)[blush][confused][biggrin]

The seller's image to be updated when I take my own pics on FridaySheraton_zpsalgyxe54.jpg

Wow, with that array of great acoustics I can only advise you to pack one for the gig.

You probably already know as I do that nothing sounds as wonderfully full and spectacular as a beautiful acoustic and well acoustically engineered church!

I do Thursday night services here where I am in a precious little nearly 180 year old sanctuary. Even my tiny Martin 00015 sm sounds like tinkling jewelry on the chancel. Guys like you and I who are fortunate enough to offer this service regularly are very lucky indeed.

Good luck!

Wow, with that array of great acoustics I can only advise you to pack one for the gig.

You probably already know as I do that nothing sounds as wonderfully full and spectacular as a beautiful acoustic and well acoustically engineered church!

I do Thursday night services here where I am in a precious little nearly 180 year old sanctuary. Even my tiny Martin 00015 sm sounds like tinkling jewelry on the chancel. Guys like you and I who are fortunate enough to offer this service regularly are very lucky indeed.

Good luck!

It is a blessing and a chance to give, as well. I must admit, at my point in life, to have a place to regularly contribute musically with my guitars and mandolins, is truly something to be thankful for, as well. You are right, bro! [thumbup]

Archived