Gibson Brands Forums

Help Please!

Puppetmasteruk

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering if someone could help. I bought a 2013 LP Traditional last year and it was sold to me as chambered with Chrome tuners and says "Traditional" on the head. All the information I've read about the 2013 Trad suggests it shouldn't be chambered and should have classic tuners?

Someone told me I might have Standard accidentally badged as a Trad?

What do you think?

Guest Farnsbarns

A bunch of decent pictures, the model code (on the warranty card), and specs would help. I think a standard would have push/pull pots. Someone will confirm/correct.

I bought a 2013 Standard in January 2015.

It is lighter than a traditional - Chambered probably.

Locking tuners

And "Standard" on the little plate covering the truss rod.

My WAG (wild assed guess)is you have a Standard.

Did you purchase it new, or get it used?

The store where it was originally purchased might have some information.

I checked the Gibson web page and the Traditional ($2249) is $750 less than the Standard ($2999) so this could be your lucky day. If you are happy with it, then stop worrying and enjoy playing it.

Email Gibson (address on their web site)the serial # and ask them what model of a Les Paul guitar it is. They have been very helpful to me.

Guest Farnsbarns

I bought a 2013 Standard in January 2015.

It is lighter than a traditional - Chambered probably.

Locking tuners

And "Standard" on the little plate covering the truss rod.

My WAG (wild assed guess)is you have a Standard.

Did you purchase it new, or get it used?

The store where it was originally purchased might have some information.

I checked the Gibson web page and the Traditional ($2249) is $750 less than the Standard ($2999) so this could be your lucky day. If you are happy with it, then stop worrying and enjoy playing it.

Email Gibson (address on their web site)the serial # and ask them what model of a Les Paul guitar it is. They have been very helpful to me.

Does it have coil splitting, push/pull puts?

Your best course of action by far would be to send the serial number in to Gibson Customer service and ask them what the guitar is.

There is no dependable way of telling whether or not the guitar is chambered or solid without putting it through an x-ray scanner.

Weight might give a clue but is not a fail-safe method.

If the guitar is around 8 lbs or less then that suggests it might be chambered but many re-issues - which are solid - weigh in the mid-to-low 8's as well.

A lightweight Trad would be unusual as most of the light body-blanks are reserved for the R-I's but, as I said, there is no surefire way to tell by weight alone.

Here's the link;

http://www2.gibson.com/Gibson/Talk-2-Us.aspx

P.

Your best course of action by far would be to send the serial number in to Gibson Customer service and ask them what the guitar is.

There is no dependable way of telling whether or not the guitar is chambered or solid without putting it through an x-ray scanner.

Weight might give a clue but is not a fail-safe method.

If the guitar is around 8 lbs or less then that suggests it might be chambered but many re-issues - which are solid - weigh in the mid-to-low 8's as well.

A lightweight Trad would be unusual as most of the light body-blanks are reserved for the R-I's but, as I said, there is no surefire way to tell by weight alone.

Here's the link;

http://www2.gibson.com/Gibson/Talk-2-Us.aspx

P.

If pip saysso I would follow his advice , he knows guitrs and gear [thumbup]

4H

Certainly sounds like a Standard; they've been messing about with the weight-relief thing on that series for a while. Not to say, as Pippy mentioned, that it's not a rare-lightweight of a Standard, using only that piece of info.

But the standards have also been using 502 Grover Rotogrips, whereas a Traditional would be Kluson / Kluson-style vintage greenkeys.

So +1 to standard

Certainly sounds like a Standard; they've been messing about with the weight-relief thing on that series for a while. Not to say, as Pippy mentioned, that it's not a rare-lightweight of a Standard, using only that piece of info.

But the standards have also been using 502 Grover Rotogrips, whereas a Traditional would be Kluson / Kluson-style vintage greenkeys.

So +1 to standard

Definitely doesn't have vintage tuners

You can remove the pickups and see what model they are and, if they're original, you can figure it out from that. While the pickups are removed, you can look in the pickup cavities and see if there's anything written in the cavity. Sometimes they write stuff in there like the model.

Or get in touch with Customer Service with your serial number like Pippy said. They'll give you the info that they keep on record for your guitar.

Good luck. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Outside of the US,Gibson are well known for switching up parts.

Its quite common for Gibson to send different bodies combinations outside of the US.

I bought a 13 standard that should have had modern relief,and it had a solid body but everything else was standard.Gibson are well known for this.

Outside of the US,Gibson are well known for switching up parts.

Its quite common for Gibson to send different bodies combinations outside of the US.

I bought a 13 standard that should have had modern relief,and it had a solid body but everything else was standard.Gibson are well known for this.

Good find! Well done, QC...

Archived