Gibson Brands Forums

What is this pickup?

R.A.D.

I'm the original owner of a May,1988 LPC, wine red/gold hardware and covers. Bridge pickup is an HB-L, neck pickup just has patent # stamped on it.

1) What would this pickup be?

2) I bought a '57 Classic neck to try out. Would both of these pickups be basically the same thing?

3) Is there any reason this might not be a great pickup anyway?

Here's photos, I changed out the old braided lead. I read that Shaw pickups have a rough cast magnet and this one looks very rough indeed. But it does not have any spacers, let alone the white plastic ones that Shaws have.

post-72213-013641700 1432099241_thumb.jpg

post-72213-069564800 1432099393_thumb.jpg

Has short legs also, I thought the Shaws had long legs, though I suppose both. No brass screws on the bottom either. Is the lead color coded at the end? A couple straight shots of the top and bottom might help, what ohms, did you test it?

Hello!

Shaw pickups were last made in 1987.

In 1988, the pickups were either 490s, or Bill Lawrence models - these latter can be identified with the circuit board on the baseplate.

So, my guess is: it's a 490. The AlNiCo II magnet looks like that. Rough.

Cheers... Bence

Right to 87, they were used on some of the LP Customs and 335 RIs in 88, I don't know what else they made it into. Not uncommon, nor two mixed as the BL-HB was used and the P490. Looks like a P490. The double rows of pole holes on the base plate I don't think is consistent either for Shaws. The A2s were used on all his pick-ups, I was also under the impression the A2s were entirely machined and were shiny all over. The A5’s were not machined and have the pebbly texture in my understanding?

Here's photos, I changed out the old braided lead. I read that Shaw pickups have a rough cast magnet and this one looks very rough indeed. But it does not have any spacers, let alone the white plastic ones that Shaws have.

Those are not Shaws, all Shaws have braided wire as well AFAIK. Shaws come in long and Short-legged models and can have two rows of pole holes on the baseplate. They also usually have an ink stamp in addition to the Pat number. I do have pics of my 82 -83 Shaws but am unable to post them due to a problem on Flikr.

Hello!

Shaw pickups were last made in 1987.

In 1988, the pickups were either 490s, or Bill Lawrence models - these latter can be identified with the circuit board on the baseplate.

So, my guess is: it's a 490. The AlNiCo II magnet looks like that. Rough.

Cheers... Bence

So is the official ruling that it is a 490R? And how would it compare to a HB-R? Why didn't they just put in a HB-R to match the HB-L that came in the bridge position? I read before that the HB-R is a great neck pickup.

Archived