Gibson Brands Forums

Are these very good amps?

jaxson50

Hello!

Since I am looking for a combo too, I did google it...

Most of the comments/reviews remark cheap construction. Loose, fragile parts. Enough for me to remain aimed at Palmer Fat 50...

However, the Infinium technology sounds very promising. Please note, the combo in the link does not have the Infinium valve-monitoring system. It's successor does have it.

Cheers... Bence

... they sound pretty good for the $

Hello Ray!

Basically, that was the conclusion of the reviews I've readed.

It's just me, being too strict, when it comes to reliability of amps. I am tired of carrying my amps for repair on monthly basis...

Right now, I am saving for the previously mentioned Palmer amp. It's my choice, - besides for it's great tone -, because it is designed in a very smart way. It also falls into the category of "affordable" amps, because the brand "Palmer" is new to amp building. They did all kinds of studio gadgets previously, and those were built like tanks.

Best wishes... Bence

Bugera is made by Behringer I believe. Not the best quality out there.

The only Bugera I Have played is the 5 watt model and it sounded terrible, fizzy, glassy almost microphonic overdrive. It still had the stock Chinese tubes so who knows if a tube change would've helped.

If I was in the market for a budget tube amp I would go for a Jet City.

Most of the Bugera models are direct chinese rip-off copies of Peavey amp designs like the 5150, 6505, etc. Look at them and compare them in both looks and model names and it is clear what they are doing - they are not bashful about it.

I believe you get what you pay for. I had an old original 5150 2x12 combo. Made in the USA and it weighed 92 lbs. Was reliable and had good tone for heavy rock/metal. Now days I play Mesa and Orange.

Hello Ray!

I am saving for the previously mentioned Palmer amp. It's my choice, - besides for it's great tone -, because it is designed in a very smart way.

Hey Bence,

We talked about this in a thread about a month or two ago. Those are really well made amps. I guess I've been pretty lucky, as I've not had a lot of reliability problems with any of the three tube amps I use. they're not old, the Marshall was bought in 96, the fender in 99, or 2000, and my Goldtone GA30RVS I think 2003/2004 (just before they stopped making them.) I'be retubed the fender and the marshall once, the Goldtone still has the stock tubes.

Hope you are closer to a purchase than you were a few months ago.

and agree about the Bugera, you DO get what you pay for. My buddy bought one for his nephew who has been playing for a few years. It didn't sound bad, but it didn't look like it was something you'd want to be lugging around much.

Most of the Bugera models are direct chinese rip-off copies of Peavey amp designs like the 5150, 6505, etc. Look at them and compare them in both looks and model names and it is clear what they are doing - they are not bashful about it.

I believe you get what you pay for. I had an old original 5150 2x12 combo. Made in the USA and it weighed 92 lbs. Was reliable and had good tone for heavy rock/metal. Now days I play Mesa and Orange.

And Behringer copies Mackie and other good brands, so it does not come as a surprise that they do the same under the Bugera name.

The weird thing is that Behringer is a German company I think.

Thanks for the input folks, I am always skeptical when I see amps priced so low, but sometimes there are jewels in them coal piles.So what are some good low cost amps?

What kind of music are you going to play through it? Clean? High gain?

I have had the 5 watt model for a couple of years, not my main amp but I have had no reliability or build quality issues. It took awhile to dial in the right tone. For electric guitars I thought it wasn't that good (or that bad either). But when I plug a good acoustic into it, the amp really wakes up. Best sound for me is to turn off the EQ on the guitar and on the amp set gain, tone, reverb to 3 and master to 5. Sounds very sweet, also miking the amp to a 8 track recorder and output through powered speakers improves the tone and lessens fret and finger noise.

I paid about $125 at GC if I remember right.

Archived