Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J200 Elvis the King

Korbe

Hi, i am new here.

I can buy a Gibson J200 Elvis the King for a very very low price, but i doubt if it is genuine. Can somebody help me to tell if this instrument is what the seller says it is or just a fake ?

Attached some pics the seller made.

Thanks a lot,

Marcs

post-72233-094094700 1432150038_thumb.jpg

post-72233-051285800 1432150058_thumb.jpg

post-72233-010804500 1432150075_thumb.jpg

Hard to tell much of anything from the photos which are pretty dark and fuzzy. I would do some research on the label though. I would think it would have been orange. But then again, maybe there was more than one issue of the guitar.

As ZW says, the photographs are not good enough to make any judgment about the guitar. It's not a model I am familiar with, but most non-standard Gibson models have an orange label.

I don't know if you are in Belgium, the guitar is in Belgium, or both, but it should probably be inspected by someone who knows how to tell a Gibson from a "Gibsun".

If you had more and better pictures, we might be able to help you out, but they would need to be detailed, and high-resolution.

That's some pretty drunken pickguard placement; half of which seems to be hanging over the soundhole. Nabulax' link to Gibson's official website shows a bound 'guard, with crown on the diagonal, J-200 style bird's beak at the base of the fretboard extension (fretboard binding), & non-compensated saddle. The Kapaza link shows an unbound headstock, blank truss rod cover, and the soundhole label looks sketchy at best.

That's some pretty drunken pickguard placement; half of which seems to be hanging over the soundhole. Nabulax' link to Gibson's official website shows a bound 'guard, with crown on the diagonal, J-200 style bird's beak at the base of the fretboard extension (fretboard binding), & non-compensated saddle. The Kapaza link shows an unbound headstock, blank truss rod cover, and the soundhole label looks sketchy at best.

I agree. The fret board extension really stood out. All the other decorations are there but they look off. I would pass.

It's not a Gibson. There is no center brace on the back of the guitar as seen in the sound hole. The pickguard is not correct as previously mentioned and Gibson never-NEVER made a fretboard without the birdsbeak as mentioned. The headstock should be bound. Truss rod cover is all wrong. The real guitar has gold tuners.

OK, i will pass. I did some research myself ofcourse and came to the same conclusion : almost everything is there but not in the way it should. I have asked the man for better pictured and he refuses. That is convincing to.

Thank you all for your help.

And yes indeed I am in Belgium, as the guitar is. Have several electric Gibson guitars, but so far no acoustic of them.

Marcs

Archived