Gibson Brands Forums

Dylan on Letterman

BluesKing777

My, how everyone dances around opinions regarding iconic artists like Dylan who stay at the party too long! He's pretty much sucked as a singer/songwriter for decades.

I wish I could suck as bad as him. Maybe someday. ;)

Phew! [confused]

Which guitar would he play? Gibson acoustic? Martin acoustic? Fender electric? Vintage? New?

BluesKing777.

None at all.......just a harp and a tambourine[rolleyes]

Ï've found his albums from Time Out Of Mind onwards to be an interesting body of work - not to the level of his best 60s and 70s albums but I admire that he continues to plough his own furrow, making whatever music inspires him and not pandering to what pays best with audiences and critics. It's certainly ba far cry from the abysmal attempts at contemporary production that dogged much of his 80s work. His voice is shot but he's done a great job in recent years of harnessing what he has left, and the Tom Waits rasp of his recent records suits the songs well. I don't expect another Blood On The Tracks or of him but I respect the choices he's made and the world is more colourful with him in it.

He did look a little bewildered on Letterman but he's often looked very out of his comfort zone on TV appearances. I'm not too keen on the covers record but I enjoyed the performance.

I don't expect another Blood On The Tracks or of him but I respect the choices he's made and the world is more colourful with him in it.

I thought the Infidels outtakes (my old boot is called Outfidels) stood with his work of the mid-1960s.

I'm kinda' thinking Dylan is goofing on us. Like Zappa did but without the musical mastery.

I hate listening to Sinatra's singing just as much, but he never wrote 'It's Alright Ma'.

Wait...I retract. Just printed out the 'It's Alright Ma' lyrics. 15 verses of horsefeathers. I think I'm in pretentious poetry hell.

I'm kinda' thinking Dylan is goofing on us. Like Zappa did but without the musical mastery.

I hate listening to Sinatra's singing just as much, but he never wrote 'It's Alright Ma'.

Nope.

I saw him two weeks ago. He didn't play a guitar, and looked a little uncertain what to do with his hands when singing, and especially during instrumental breaks and solos. He also didn't say a word to the audience the entire evening, either, even when he left the stage at the end of the main set and at the encore! The one exception was a mumbled phrase at the start of a venue-imposed intermission. But since no one understood what he said, some in the audience thought the show was over and left!

Red 333

I'm kinda' thinking Dylan is goofing on us.

You could call it that - Dylan has showed us SO many colors of weird (or 'different') over the decades that no one should be surprised.

It's a performance under pretty intense circumstances and the vintage singer glides into song-character.

A role, , , maybe, but not the kind seen in theaters. This is a senior rock'n'roll act, take it or leave it.

My words are few : Mister Bob, , , can I serve the tea. . .

Dylan is an icon to be admired for his contributions to the world of music. He has earned his keep. There will never be another Dylan. I felt honored to be watching him on Letterman. And thankful that this man existed in my life time. He changed the world as much as the Beatles and Elvis Presely, and Frank Sinatra. Keep playing Bob. We love you!

The fact is history will give Dylan the respect he deserves, and those who flippantly dismiss him will be obliterated and utterly forgotten.

that could be true... I've just never been a fan..

Archived