Gibson Brands Forums

Five years with Studio 50s Tribute

btoth76

Hello!

Five years ago, - on this day - I have pre-ordered my Gibson Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute. It was my first Gibson (or any guitar) since I stopped playing in 1994. It was a birthday present I gave to myself.

How it is now? Excellent! It is a beauty, plays and sounds great! That's for the review, let the pictures speak for themselves. :)

HPIM5719_zpsbzysp7wm.jpg

HPIM5733_zps1kchrrlh.jpg

HPIM5744_zpsgu74lgt0.jpg

Nice LP, did you ever condition the fret board? Could be the photos are deceiving too?

Hello!

Yes, I do twice or three times a year.

Mostly it was treated with "lemon oil". Recently, I switched over to using raw, pure linseed oil.

Cheers... Bence

In particular, I love that natural back and the natural top binding [wub]

+1 to that! Looks awesome. My local still seems to have loads of the Tribute series; might pick one up if they keep lowering the prices.

+1 to that! Looks awesome. My local still seems to have loads of the Tribute series; might pick one up if they keep lowering the prices.

Hello Pesh!

Don't hesitate to pick up one. At least, to try one.

These Tributes with P90s and their chambered bodies are loud guitars with lots of sustain. Mine just rings forever. When I add some Tube Screamer and wah-filter, it's tone is divine. It also sounds very jazzy clean with a touch of reverb.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Pesh!

Don't hesitate to pick up one. At least, to try one.

These Tributes with P90s and their chambered bodies are loud guitars with lots of sustain. Mine just rings forever. When I add some Tube Screamer and wah-filter, it's tone is divine. It also sounds very jazzy clean with a touch of reverb.

Cheers... Bence

I have tried one of the '50s, and it sounded awesome. Which P90's did Gibson put in them?

I have tried one of the '50s, and it sounded awesome. Which P90's did Gibson put in them?

These are the traditional, old P90s - neither the newer coil-tapped, nor the slug ones.

Cheers... Bence

I never noticed the natural binding before. I really like that particular model. I like the SG which was in a similar vein also. But in particular I like the GT. Gibson offered a blue sapphire version also which I only seen one. Nevertheless its a very nice LP.

...Gibson offered a blue sapphire version...

Thank You!

The sapphire one is from the gem series:

GEM.jpg

That is an earlier model variation of the Les Paul Studio guitars.

Cheers... Bence

I've got a 2013 50's Tribute in the vintage burst. Couldn't beat the price and it plays great.

I may be wrong, but I think what people are calling the natural binding is the tapered edge side of the maple cap. I like the way it looks too though.

• 2 weeks later...

I may be wrong, but I think what people are calling the natural binding is the tapered edge side of the maple cap. I like the way it looks too though.

Hello! Yes, it's the maple top's side. It was advertised back in 2010 as "faux binding".

It´s a beautiful guitar! I like a lot!!

Thank You, both! It's indeed a very nice instrument with very strong sound character. :)

Cheers... Bence

Archived