Gibson Brands Forums

Cars Beautiful Cars

IanHenry

Hi,

I just got back from Italy yesterday, having been there to watch this years Mille Miglia and knowing that quite a few members here, as well as loving guitars, are also petrolheads like myself, I thought I'd post a few snaps that I took of the event. If anyone ever thinks about going, it's well worth the trip, not only are you surrounded by beautiful cars its fun just to watch the Italians who get very excited about them, some even stand on the roof of their own cars to get a better view!

Mille%20Miglia%202015%20132_DxO.jpg

Mille%20Miglia%202015%20126_DxO.jpg

Mille%20Miglia%202015%20119_DxO.jpg

Mille%20Miglia%202015%20050_DxO.jpg

Mille%20Miglia%202015%20Ian%20060_DxO.jpg

Mille%20Miglia%202015%20Ian%20046_DxO.jpg

Mille%20Miglia%202015%20Ian%20140_DxO.jpg

The last one is inside the Enzo Ferrari museum.

Ian

Nice!

Is that Derek 'Dinger' Bell in the ex- Ecurie Ecosse C-Type?..............[woot]...............V.Cool!

Looks like lots of fun was to be had, Ian. Thanks for posting!

[thumbup]

P.

Yes Pippy, it is Derek Bell. Surprisingly he was only listed as co driver/navigator. Who in their right mind would have Derek Bell sat in the passenger seat for most of the race? The first car off the ramp (and the first one over it at the end)was Sir Stirling Moss in his 1950's Mercedes 722 racing car as it's 60 years since he won the race. I suspect that he didn't complete the race as I think a three day endurance race is a bit much to expect from someone his age.

Ian

These were the real cars (except for those red plastics on the last pic ;))

Very nice Bugattis, Ian! [thumbup]

The oddly-hued Aston is a bit of a peach, too!

As far as the red cars go (and with profuse apologies in advance to Ian for having interfered with his evocative snap) there's one particular (road-going) Ferrari there which I, for one, would love to own - here, highlighted in British Racing Green.........NOT!......LOL!

288 GTO. Not many of those to the pound (as it were).

Enzo%20museum_zpsud0yxyby.jpg

Who in their right mind would have Derek Bell sat in the passenger seat for most of the race?...

With his five 24hr Le Mans- and three 24hr Daytona wins he's obviously only good for one-day races....lol!

I've never seen Sir Stirling in 722. That would be quite special.

P.

Sweet stuff. I remember reading that when Sir Stirling Moss and his co driver won the event (mid '50's maybe?) that they drove the course in a street car some days before, where they "estimated/guessed" what speed and gear you could take certain parts of the course in a real race car. Pretty good guessing, I'd say.

Great pics and selection of classic vehicles... [thumbup]

Not a race fan myself but love the 'hardware'.... [biggrin]

And purely personal opinion...never liked Ferraris... :blink:

But do like Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Morinis etc

And, as well as the beautiful Bugattis

The Brit cars like Bentley, MG, Healey, Triumph, Bristol, Aston Martin, Morgan, AC, SS Jaguar and post war Jaguar....

V

:-({|=

...I remember reading that when Sir Stirling Moss and his co driver won the event (mid '50's maybe?) that they drove the course in a street car some days before...

Yes. Spot-on, Dennis.

1955. Dennis(sp?) 'Jenks' Jenkinson - a renowned motor journalist (and an extremely enthusiastic Porsche 356 devotee, as it happens) - was the co-pilot. Effectively they invented the concept of real 'Pace Notes'.

They reconnoitered the entire route with Jenks writing down distances between corners; the severity of corners and such-like which allowed them to relive the course in real-time when they were doing the race 'proper'.

EDIT : I was going to check my 'sources' but, what the Hell; Wiki can do it far better than me!

Here you go;

"Journalist Denis Jenkinson was Moss's navigator.......Jenkinson had come up with the idea of pace notes in the form of a roller map of the route on which he had noted its hazards—an innovation that helped Moss compete against drivers with greater local knowledge. Jenkinson used hand signals to tell him about the road ahead. Radio communication had proved ineffective when they tried it, because when Moss was fully concentrated on his driving he was oblivious to Jenkinson's voice."

Bloody Know-Alls....LOL!

Pip.

I have to admit I got a bit fed up with the Ferrari's, the Italians seem to like revving there engines late at night under my bedroom window, then to make things worse a couple of Vipers joined in and they were shaking the bloody light fittings. Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy [scared]

Ian

Thanks for the photos. It looks like a great time was had by all. I had a chance to visit the Ferrari Museum in Modena several years ago. I was in awe of all the beautiful cars. I was also impressed by how proud the Farrari factory workers were of their jobs. They were all wearing beige jump suits with the Farrari logos on their back. You don't see that in most US factories.

Kenny V

Thanks for the photos. It looks like a great time was had by all. I had a chance to visit the Ferrari Museum in Modena several years ago. I was in awe of all the beautiful cars. I was also impressed by how proud the Farrari factory workers were of their jobs. They were all wearing beige jump suits with the Farrari logos on their back. You don't see that in most US factories.

Kenny V

Kenny, I think it must be something to do with building cars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4c9i250pc4

Having said that I once looked around a Jaguar factory, and the people there didn't look like they were particularly enjoying it, but they were just standing waiting for the next car on the line so they could screw a part onto it. I think your brain would die after a week of that.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

My colleagues are busy documenting this car at the moment:

Cheers... Bence

By a strange co-incidence I was 'up close and personal' with Jaguar's own - and very VERY stunning - 'Ecurie Ecosse Blue' Project 7 beauty this very lunchtime.

What an astonishing car this is when seen in the flesh; in real life it's much more attractive than it appears to be in this clip.

What exactly, Bence, are/were your colleagues doing with the car?.................and whatever it is/was I'm extremely jealous!

P.

I trust JLR let you all borrow one for a week or three for the purposes of evaluation?....

P.

Unfortunately, I rarely work on their stuff. But the workshop manual authors had the opportunity to visit UK, where they could test drive some of the cars.

I work with bigger vehicles, which are not so fun to drive. :(

Best wishes... Bence

Archived