Gibson Brands Forums

What should you teach first to a newbie

Rabs

So next week I got my sister and her kids coming down to stay at my family home.. and my nephew Rafi whos 9 has decided he wants to start learning guitar (I helped my brother in law learn about 4 years ago and hes still playing)..

Also it was Rafis birthday this week do I decided to give him that black squire strat I had laying about

this one

DSC03184_zps12f174e9.jpg

Its actually a really nice playing guitar.. Oddly enough I usually hate Fender Strat necks but I really like this one... for a first guitar I think its perfect [thumbup] (its better than my first few guitars playability wise)..

So anyway.. my actual point of this thread.. I just spoke to him on the phone and actually his parents already got him a guitar but just a cheap classical (which he as asked me to stain blue :))... and he asked me if I could give him a lesson or two when they are here...

So what do you teach first to a total new player, and a young one at that..

I seem to remember when I learned to play the first time I was actually taught how to read music and I learned twinkle twinkle little star :) but what do you teach before that? (and I cant teach him to read music cos ive forgotten it all now) How to hold it and pluck a string? Show him a few chords to practice (he surely wont have enough finger strength for that yet?).. I was thinking if I can get him to understand tablature then I can give him a sheet of chords and that should keep him busy for a while (will he be able to get that?)

Anyway.. any teachers out there (and I know there a few) any advice would be appreciated :) I really want him to enjoy it but know that he has to want to do it and work at it to progress which is hard for a 9 year old with almost no attention span :)

I'm not a teacher, but you have to start with the basics. How to hold the guitar (sitting and standing), how to hold the pick, how to attack the strings, how to caress the strings when you need to play tenderly, how to tune the guitar. Show him a few basic notes and chords. Get him started on simple stuff, but encourage him to listen to and try to play along with simple things. Playing Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star can get boring real fast.

Make sure you encourage him that the finger pain will go away with time. The callouses will harden and help him later on (better than tender finger tips). Most of all stick with it.

Get him a chord chart and a starter guitar book. Most of all, Have Fun. [thumbup]

I'm not a teacher, but you have to start with the basics. How to hold the guitar (sitting and standing), how to hold the pick, how to attack the strings, how to caress the strings when you need to play tenderly, how to tune the guitar. Show him a few basic notes and chords. Get him started on simple stuff, but encourage him to listen to and try to play along with simple things. Playing Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star can get boring real fast.

Make sure you encourage him that the finger pain will go away with time. The callouses will harden and help him later on (better than tender finger tips). Most of all stick with it.

Get him a chord chart and a starter guitar book. Most of all, Have Fun. [thumbup]

Yeah.. cheers man..

and that's the thing.. I want him to enjoy it enough to want to keep going... and yes.. twinkle twinkle is very 80s :) (but then it was 80s when I was at school).. I gotta find a modern tune he likes... Haha, I know he likes Spiderman.. How about I teach him the theme tune :)

In the 80s, the glorious heyday of my teaching years and multi colored perm days, we had a little card each new student filled out and the most important question on it: What are your three favorite songs today? Find out, learn them front to back, singing and playing. For me, I taught a lot of 10 year olds Crazy Train. Nothing but nothing impresses upon them and instills in them "I WANT TO DO THAT" more than some guy that is going to teach them knowing whatever it is they just love.

They already know you know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, but they don't think you know something by One Direction. Get their respect and adoration and sing and play Story Of My Life for them, they'll be hooked forever.

Always let them try your guitars.

Never let them touch your hair.

rct

Never let them touch your hair.

rct

Haha... too true :)

Well I know him and his dad love The Beatles.. whats the easiest Beatles tune to play?

One Direction.. PAHHH.. I will teach him better than that, that if he even mentions that name he will get a clip around the ear ;) lol

8 days a week is D - E - G, and is a good starter, but then you get a Bm in there...

Best advice I can give is to find a song that he loves and teach him that. I got my nephew to jam on that "up all night to get lucky" song because it's Bm D A E on repeat for 8 or so minutes.

then 'Smoke on the Water"

Exactly. It was my first song and gave me confidence.

If you can inspire confidence, game on.

People can thrive. In my book, a great teacher indeed.

Hi Rabs.

I don't know what you can teach him.

But if you give him the Squier and he he likes videogames this could be fun for him.

http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-au/home/index.aspx

A good teacher is always better but he will learn a lot with that.

And its less frustrating than looking at a piece of paper.

It adapts to the skill level of the player.

I play with it sometimes and its lots of fun, and you actually really learn some stuff.

Greets

Hello!

I agree with those, who say teach Him a catchy, very easy riff. That would give Him an immediate sense of achievement!

Then, teach Him how to tune the guitar.

Cheers... Bence

LOVE reading through this...lots of chuckles (and good memories).

RCT: Crazy Train is to the the 80s/90s what Smoke on the Water was to the 70s! LOL! Our producer taught lessons and used to lament "If I have to show one more kid that "G*D*m" Crazy Train...!"

But I agree. A basic version of one of his favorite songs...BUT ALSO...BASICS. Bad habits are hard to break! Proper position and finger placement, names of strings and tuning. Will give him a good foundation that he can build on.

Let us know how your protégé is doing...

Brian

Yes, but you have to put the capo way up in the middle of the fretboard somewhere. I forgot exactly where. It's on the internet.

ya but, you can't believe anything you see on the innernet..

Archived