Gibson Brands Forums

I'd say this one old girl is pretty rare!

onewilyfool

A hyper nice find. Extraordinary good shape for a mid-thirties guitar

We clearly see how art-deco plays a role here - and take a look at that 'super-heel'.

Is this period the birth or youth of m.o.p. split-parallelograms.

Of course the archer-bow-shaped fret-board-end has survived to this day too. Seen on 200's and the Firebird Custom.

Sheesh! From reading the listing, it isn't clear how many of the "Super 400" appointments are original, and how much was done when it was converted from Hawaiian-style.

I think I'll pass at that price.

Plus, I can't imagine trying to play a guitar with that string spacing, and my hands ain't small.

My Nationals have 1.82 nut width..wouldn't want to play bar chords all night on them, but normal blues picking - great!!!! [rolleyes]

I have NOT checked my lottery ticket yet....

Things could change drastically - "I'll take it"..."And that one too"..."And that! :unsure:

BluesKing777.

Edit: Update on the lottery - Pffffffftttttttttt!

But next week the jackpot makes it 50 million!!!! [lol]

What does "converted from Hawaiian" mean???

Think it has to do with the action. The instrument apparently lived a horizontal life in its ealier days - thus had high positioned strings.

Correct if wrong.

Think it has to do with the action. The instrument apparently lived a horizontal life in its ealier days - thus had high positioned strings.

Correct if wrong.

Correct, plus it also requires carving down and re-shaping the neck, which on a Hawaiian, is almost square in cross-sectional shape.

Some of the specs scared me away. Weight is 5 pounds, 5 ounces (2.4 kg), which is more than a pound (actually 500 grams +)heavier than a standard J-45.

String spacing at the nut is 2.06" (52.3 mm), which means the nut width is at least 2.19" (55.6 mm). String spacing at the bridge is corresponding huge.

You better have giant hands if you are going to play this as anything other than a lap-style guitar with a slide.

Correct, plus it also requires carving down and re-shaping the neck, which on a Hawaiian, is almost square in cross-sectional shape.

Some of the specs scared me away. Weight is 5 pounds, 5 ounces (2.4 kg), which is more than a pound (actually 500 grams +)heavier than a standard J-45.

String spacing at the nut is 2.06" (52.3 mm), which means the nut width is at least 2.19" (55.6 mm). String spacing at the bridge is corresponding huge.

You better have giant hands if you are going to play this as anything other than a lap-style guitar with a slide.

Correct, plus the Hawaiian-style Roy Smeck guitars never had frets until the conversion. The fretboard on the Smecks had white lines inlaid where the frets would be (roughly), which made converting to Spanish a more tricky affair when trying to get note accuracy:

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-22%20at%204.16.08%20AM_zps5gr6glol.png

Yes, a bit on the heavy side; is that more due to the extra lumber on the neck, or was this a laminate maple?

And, yes, FullMental, I too could get lost in that pickguard. And a sunburst over a flame maple back has to be one of the more beautiful things to see.

Could only imagine what this would sound like. The maple worked well in the small, deep-bodied Gib Nick Lucas- some observations on the Super Smeck 400 were made by Steve Swan when this guitar was being discussed Wednesday on the UMGF Vintage Corner, here

Too rich for my blood. I like the part about the guitar not being stored on the premises.

Eric is a great, great guitar player and he does have one heck of a shop but his prices go past ridiculous into insane territory. Going by his prices, my Regal 12 string is worth $4K. In the real world top dollar is around $2,500.

Archived